Sex education is the process of educating people about relationships, intimacy. It helps people protect themselves against abuse, exploitation, abortions etc.It mainly focuses on
Why sex education?
- Unwanted pregnancies
When and who should educate?
- People are educated about different STD’s, AIDS etc.
- Lack of sex education results in unnecessary abortions.
- People are not aware of contraceptive pills, condoms and other means to avoid pregnancy. This also results in harm to reproductive organs.
- Sex education is not just about teaching about sex. It’s about teaching how reproductive organs are built, stages that a boy and girl go through, relationships etc.
- For some people, sex education is still not necessary as it hurts their religious sentiments.
- Ideally sex education should start from onset of puberty.
- Sex education should not just be in schools. It should start from home as well. Parents should not feel conscience about discussing queries raised.
- Special care should be taken that the education and teaching should not sound vulgar.
People should get rid of the stigma attached to the word “sex”. Sex education will definitely reduce criminal acts like rape, sexual abuse etc as people will be literate enough to realize the consequences.