Linux - What is Linux and why is it so popular?
What is Linux and why is it so popular?Linux is an operating system that uses UNIX like Operating system. However, unlike UNIX, Linux is an open source and free software. Linux was originally created by Linus Torvalds and commonly used in servers.
Popularity of Linux is because of the following reasons
- It is free and open source. We can download Linux for free and customize it as per our needs.
- It is very robust and adaptable.
- Immense amount of libraries and utilities
What is Linux and why is it so popular?Linux is a multiuser, multitask GUI based open source operating system developed by Linus Torvalds Torvalds has invited the community to enhance the Linux kernel and thousands of system programmers worked on to enhance.
Prior to Linux, there is UNIX. The desktop work stations from various companies were based on UNIX. Later a numerous companies entered and each one of them had their own UNIX version. As the proprietary authority is owned by each company and the lack of central authority weaken UNIX. As Linux is free and runs on any PC platform it gained the popularity very quickly. The following are few more reasons for its popularity:
- People who are familiar with UNIX can work on Linux with ease and comfort.
- People who want great control over network security and on operating system
Linux LILO - What is LILO?
What is LILO? - LILO is Linux Loader is a boot loader for Linux. It is used to load Linux into the memory and start the Operating system.......
You may like