141st birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhai Patel celebrated
Q. Who was the first Home Minister of India?- Published on 02 Nov 16
a. Sardar Vallabhai Patel
b. Lokmanya Tilak
c. Bipin Chandra Pal
d. None of the above
ANSWER: Sardar Vallabhai Patel
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the first Home Minister of India and former Deputy PM was in news on Oct 31, 2016.
- The Iron Man of India came into limelight on his 141st birth anniversary.
- His birth anniversary was celebrated as National Unity Day (Rashtriya Ekta Diwas).
- Theme for the 2016 Rashtriya Ekta Diwas was Integration of India.
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the digital exhibition Uniting India: Sardar Patel at New Delhi.
- PM Modi also launched the Ek Bharat Shtreshtha Bharat initiative to promote greater awareness among people of numerous states about one another, promoting the spirit of Unity in Diversity.
- 6 MoUs were signed between two states on each occasion under the initiative.
- Modi also released a stamp to commemorate the anniversary of Sardar Patel.
- The Digital Exhibition has a total of 29 exhibits where a small film on the life of Sardar Patel has been in preparation for wider awareness about him.
- Exhibition showcased that 565 princely states, some of which were ruled by Maharajas and others by Nawabs started believing they would become independent rulers of their kingdoms as in the pre-British era.
- Exhibition has also showcased the vision of free India which was Sardar Patel’s insight, wisdom and diplomacy that drove sense into monarchs who agreed accession to the Indian republic.
- Exhibition also carries a 3D film that showcases how the leader handled the integration of princely states with his diplomatic skills.
- Born on 31st Oct 1875, he was an Indian barrister and statesman belonging to the INC.
- In India, he is called Sardar which means Chief in Hindi, Urdu and Persian.
You may like