1st International Agrobiodiversity at New Delhi
Q. Where will 1st International Agrobiodiversity Congress be held?- Published on 07 Nov 16
b. New Delhi
ANSWER: New Delhi
The 1st International Agrobiodiversity Congress - IAC 2016
will be held from 6-9 Nov 2016.
- It will gather 900 delegates from 60 nations in New Delhi, India.
- The IAC 2016 will initiate and encourage a dialogue among relevant stakeholders including farmers to better understand people’s roles in agrobiodiversity management and the conservation of genetic resources.
- Agrobiodiversity is the foundation of sustainable agricultural development.
- It is the essential natural resource for ensuring current and future food and nutrition security.
- From climate change to global malnutrition, falling agricultural productivity and reduced food security, there are many challenges to be addressed.
- India is the perfect venue for the IAC as a diverse country in the world occupying 2.4 percent of the land area and accommodating 16 percent of the world’s population.
- It also harbours 7-8 percent of all recorded species including over 45,000 species of plants and 91,000 species of animals.
- Discussion will centre around sharing knowledge and discussing strategies.
- The congress is co-organised by the Indian Society of Plant Genetic Resources and Biodiversity International, a CGIAR Research Centre in Rome, Italy.
- The IAC has received support from many national and international organisations.
- The Indian Society of Plant Genetic Resources was founded in 1987 as a scientific body with multidisciplinary approach to provide a forum for those interested in plant genetic resources to express their views.