Babur 3: Nuclear warhead compatible cruise missile launched
Q. Pakistan has launched a submarine launched cruise missile called _______.- Published on 10 Jan 17
Pakistan on 9th Jan 2016 launched its first submarine launched cruise missile capable of carrying nuclear warheads up to 450 kms called Babur-3.
It gives Pakistan credible second strike capability. The missile was fired from an underwater, mobile platform.
It is the sea based variant of Ground Launched Cruise Missile (GLCM) Babur-2, which was successfully tested earlier in December, 2016.
Babur-3 SLCM incorporated state of the art technologies including underwater controlled propulsion and advanced guidance and navigation features.
It can evade hostile radars and air defenses. In land attack mode, it can deliver numerous types of payloads.Know More On Babur cruise missile/Hatf VII
- Type: Medium-range subsonic cruise missile
- Place of origin: Pakistan
- Manufacturer: National Defence Complex (NDC)
- Weight : <1,500 kg (payload >300 kg)
- Length: 6.25 m (7 m with booster)
- Diameter: 0.52 m
- Warhead: Conventional or nuclear
- Engine : Turbofan
- Wingspan: 2.67 m
- Propellant: Solid fuel (booster rocket); Liquid fuel (jet engine)
- Operational range: 700 km
- Speed: 880 km/h or 550 mph (Mach 0.8)