Games and Tournament - Logical Reasoning (MCQ) Questions for Q. 29898
Q. Read the following information carefully and answer the questions below.
What is the minimum no. of matches won by a team that reaches the finals?- Published on 08 May 17
- In a tournament, Pool A and Pool B have seven teams each.
- In each pool, every team plays one match with every other team.
- Two points are awarded for a win, one point for a tie and zero for a loss. At the end of the pool stage, the top three teams in terms of the points scored, advance to the next round called the super stage.
- In the super stage, all the teams start at zero points and the three teams that advance from Pool A play one match each against the three teams that advanced from Pool B.
- Points are awarded as in the pool stage.
- At the end of the matches, the top four teams in terms of the points scored advance to the semi-finals and the winners of the semi-finals play the finals.
- If two or more teams end up with the same number of points at the end of the pool stage or the super stage, the team with better net run rate is placed higher.
To find minimum no. of matches won, consider the case where all matches in first two stages are drawn and teams advance through net run rate.
Pool matches - all matches drawn. Teams advances because of the net run rate. No team won any match yet advanced legally.
Super stage - ALL matches DRAWN. Teams advance because of net run rate.
Pool & Super stage is over without a single win.
Now for any team to reach the finals, it must win the semi-final.
So, a team can reach finals with just that one win in Semi-finals.