The Indian Council of Agricultural Research/ICAR and the International Crop Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) on March 15, 2017 signed an agreement for crop improvement.
Agreement was signed between the Director ICAR and DG ICRISAT.
The agreement is called the ICAR-ICRISAT collaborative work plan for 2016-2018 facilitates the transfer of agricultural technologies between the 2 institutes.
Climate smart crops, smart food and digitalization of breeding database are core research areas covered under the agreement.
Partnership includes funding to research grain legumes and dry land cereals and support for smart food initiative to deliver nutritionally rich, sustainable products to consumers.
On the point of crop improvement front, the agreement will facilitate research activities on transgenic pigeon pea and chickpea for insect resistance.
Other focus areas over the next three years include the integration of systems modelling tools to upscale climate resilient agriculture, development of genetic and genomic resources of finger millet and enhancing genetic gains for priority traits.ICAR: Know More
- ICAR is an autonomous organization under the Department of Agricultural Research and Education.
- It was set up as the Imperial Council of Agricultural Research on 16th July 1929 as a registered society under the Societies Registration Act 1860 by the UK government.
- The Council is an apex body for coordination, guidance and management of research and education in agriculture, including fisheries, animal sciences and horticulture across the nation.
- ICAR is one of the largest national agricultural systems in the world.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.
- International organisation conducting agricultural research for rural development.
- It is headquartered in Patancheru in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- It was established in 1972 by a consortium of organisations convened by the Ford, Rockfeller foundations.
- Its charter was signed by FAO and UNDP.
- Headquarters: Patancheru
- Founded: 1972
- Motto: Science with a Human Face