IUCN updates red list
Q. IUCN released an updated ____ list for classifying different species on 4th Dec, 2017.- Published on 06 Dec 17
The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) on Dec 4, 2017 released an updated red list classifying the different species.
According to their website,the IUCN Red List Categories are intended to be an easily and widely understood system for classifying species at high risk of global extinction.The categories are:
- EXTINCT - the last individual in the species has died.
- EXTINCT IN THE WILD - it now lives only in captivity and not in its natural habitat.
- CRITICALLY ENDANGERED - facing an extremely high risk of extinction in the wild.
- ENDANGERED - facing a very high risk of extinction in the wild.
- VULNERABLE - facing a high risk of extinction in the wild.
- NEAR THREATENED - likely to qualify for a threatened category in the near future.
- LEAST CONCERN - it is widespread and abundant in the wild.
- DATA DEFICIENT - inadequate information.
- NOT EVALUATED - not yet been evaluated against the criteria.