Kanpur, UP gets India’s first institute of skills
Q. Where did PM Narendra Modi on 19th Dec 2016 unveiled the first Indian Institute of Skills?- Published on 20 Dec 16
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 19th
Dec 2016 unveiled the first Indian Institute of Skills in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
The PM also launched the exhibition Kaushal Pradarshini to showcase major skill development initiatives of the Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship/MSDE.
The Kanpur institute is the country’s first ever Indian institute of skills.
Primary objective of the institute is empowering the youth to be employable and self sustainable.
Institute was conceived when PM Modi visited Singapore’s Institute of Technical Education.
The institute is inspired by the Singapore model of training and will incorporate the best practices from this nation.
The plan is to set up six such institutes in India in the coming years.Skill Initiatives by GoI
- Kaushal Pradarshini: Skill exhibition for UP Youth
- Exhibition showcases state-of-the-art vocational training practice.
- Union Budget identifies Education, Skill Development and Employment as one of the 9 pillars to transform Indian economy.
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana for imparting skills training to youths at INR 1500 crore was launched in March 2015.
- National Mission for Skill Development was launched in July 2015 for training at least 300 million skilled people by 2022.