An alliance of Madhes based political leaders on 15th March 2017 withdrew support to the Prachanda led Nepal government after it failed to meet a 7 day ultimatum to meet demands.
This includes endorsement for the revised Constitution Amendment bill.
The United Democratic Madhesi Front with 39 lawmakers withdrew support.
Government continues to enjoy a majority as it is supported by more than 320 members in the 601 member CA.
Prachanda also said the government would form a commission to fianlise issues pertaining to provincial demarcation before the provincial elections.
UDMF on March 7, 2017 issued an ultimatum to address concerns including re-demarcation of the provincial boundary and a liberal citizenship policy among others.
It has been demanding government endorsement for revised Constitution Amendment Bill and withdrawal of the decision to conduct local polls in May.Madhesi: Know More
- The Madhesi, also referred to as Teraibasi Nepali, are an indigenous ethnic group.
- They are Nepalese people who are natives of the Madhesh plains of Southern Nepal in Terai belt of South Asia.
- India : over 23,000 Non Resident Nepali
- Saudi Arabia : 199,757 Nepalese Migrant Workers
- United States : 19,000 Nepalese Americans
- South Korea : 22,878 Nepalese Migrant Workers