Maharashtra to get separate ministry for OBC
Q. Which state announced a separate ministry for OBCs?- Published on 22 Dec 16
b. Tamil Nadu
d. None of the above
ANSWER: None of the above
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on 20 December 2016 announced that a separate Ministry will be created for Other Backward Classes (OBCs).
This ministry will be headed by an independent minister.
Besides, the Chief Minister also announced funds worth Rs 200 crore for gravity-based water supply projects. These projects will help in fulfilling the need of the town and surrounding areas.
Zila Parishad of Thane to prepare a tourist circuit plan for Murbad and Shahpur talukas. He assured that maximum funds will be provided for the development of the plan.Other Backward Classes (OBC)
- OBC is a collective term to classify caste that is socially and educationally disadvantaged.
- The Mandal Commission report of 1980, found that the OBC list comprises of 52 percent of the country’s population.
- The figure shrunk to 41 percent by 2006, when the National Sample Survey Organisation took place.
- They are entitled to 27 percent reservations in public sector employment and higher education.
- Constitutionally, OBC is described as socially and educationally backwards class.