materials, and equipment in highways projects executed either under PPP mode or public funding mode.
The objective of the programme is to use innovative technology, materials and equipment to reduce the cost of projects and make them more environment friendly, while simultaneously ensuring that the roads or bridges and other assets get constructed much faster, are structurally stronger and more durable. The Value Engineering Programme is expected to
- increase speed of construction,
- reduce construction cost,
- increase asset durability and
- improve aesthetics and safety.
The Ministry had constituted a National Panel of Experts (NPE) last year, for approving proposals pertaining to deployment of
(a) new/innovative/alternative materials,
(b) new/innovative/alternative technologies and
(c) new/innovative/alternative equipment in the highway sector.NPE: Know More
- The NPE will examine all technical matters involving the new technologies, materials and equipment referred to it by the concerned Engineers or concessionaires/ contractors.
- The NPE will also resolve the technical issues which arise as a result of difference in view between engineers and concessionaires/contractors regarding implementation of the new and innovative technologies, materials and equipment.
- In addition, it will also decide about the need for field trials of any new or innovative technology/materials/ equipment before its adoption, and finalize associated design approaches, construction methodologies/sequences as well as the relevant specifications/codes/ guidelines so that the contractor may use the proposed new/alternative materials/technologies/ equipment in project highway.