Now, India is the Major Defence Partner of the US
Q. India on 8th Dec was designated as Major Defence Partner of which country?- Published on 12 Dec 16
a. United Kingdom
b. United States
c. United Arab Emirates
d. None of the above
ANSWER: United States
India on 8th
Dec was formally designated as the Major Defence Partner of the United States.
This was announced in the India-US Joint statement following US Secretary of Defence Ashton Carter’s visit to the capital city, Delhi.
This marks the seventh interaction between Carter and Indian Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.
The designation is a status unique to India and institutionalises the progress made to facilitate defence trade and technology sharing with India to a level par with that of the closest allies and partners of the United States
Designation will also ensure enduring cooperation in the future.National Defence Authorisation Act, 2017: NDAA 2017
- India’s Major Defence Partner Status has been part of the Amendment to this act.
- Act was to allocate funds annually to the US military.
US will review requests to:
- Export defence articles
- Defence services
- Related technology to India
- This is under the Arms Export Control Act.
- American official will be designated to ensure the success of the Framework for US-India Defence Relationship.
- This relationship was finalised in 2015.
- Deal will strengthen US-India Defence Trade and Technology Initiative
- It will also strengthen the stability of the India Rapid Reaction Cell in Pentagon.