Odisha government launches irrigation scheme named after freedom fighter Parbati Giri
Q. Whom did the Odisha government name the INR 7600 crore Mega Lift Irrigation Scheme after?- Published on 30 Dec 16
a. Writer Rabindranath Tagore
b. Filmmaker Satyajit Ray
c. Freedom fighter Parbati Giri
d. None of the above
ANSWER: Freedom fighter Parbati Giri
Odisha State Government in third week of December 2016 named the Rs 7600 crore Mega Lift Irrigation Scheme after freedom fighter Parbati Giri.
The State Cabinet took the decision to mark respect for Giri’s contribution to the freedom movement and service to the poor and needy.
The government approved tender for 13 Mega Lift Irrigation Schemes with a total command area of 19400 hectares in Mayurbhanj and Keonjhar districts of the state.
From August 2013, 102 mega lift irrigation schemes in eight clusters are under construction in a phased manner in 17 districts.
The Odisha Government has planned to take up 174 schemes in 15 clusters in 22 districts to create an additional irrigation potential of 214270 hectares.Know More About Parbati Giri
- Born: 19 January 1926.
- Parbati Giri was a prominent female freedom fighter from Odisha.
- Nicknamed Mother Teresa of Western Odisha.
- Born in Samlaipadar village near Bijepur of the present Bargarh district and undivided Sambalpur district.
- Imprisoned for 2 years for anti British activities.
- Only 16 when she joined the Quit India Movement.
- After freedom, she opened an orphanage in the state.