The Jammu and Kashmir government on 28 December 2016 approved the appointment of Dr Shesh Pal Vaid, Special DG, Coordination and Law and Order, as new Director General of Police.
Vaid, the 1986 batch Indian Police Services (IPS) officer of J&K cadre, will hold the office until October 2019.
He will succeed DGP K Rajendra, whose extended term of service will end on 31 December 2016.
Kumar was appointed as DGP of J&K in May 2014 and later was given an extension of three months during the unrest that occurred in the valley after killing of militant Burhan Wani.
His appointment was approved at a cabinet meet chaired by Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti.
He is the second officer from Jammu to have risen to the post of Director General of Police.
MM Khajuria was the first person from Jammu to hold the position. He held the position in 1985.About Shesh Pal Vaid
- Promoted to rank of DG, appointed DG Prisons on Mar 3, 2016.
- Transferred and posted as Special DG (Coordination and Law & Order) on Sept 8, 2016.
- Survived a major explosion while serving as Superintendent of Police, Jammu.
- He was also chosen for the post ahead of 1985 batch IPS officer SK Mishra.
- Another contender for the post was 1987 batch IPS officer SM Sahai.