Special stamps on Bihar leaders
Q. Who was Gaya Prasad Katiyar?- Published on 28 Dec 16
a. Social activist
b. Freedom fighter
d. Both a and b
ANSWER: Freedom fighter
Department of Post under the Ministry of Communications on 26th
Dec 2016 released the special stamp on freedom fighter Gaya Prasad Katiyar.
The government also released a series of 8 commemorative postage stamps on “Personalities Series: Bihar.”
The postal department also launched a commemorative postage stamp on Hardyal Municipal Heritage Public Library to honor it as one of the few oldest library of the country.The ministry released postage stamps on these following 8 personalities of Bihar:
- Kailashpati Mishra
- Kunwar Singh
- Sachchidananda Sinha
- Karpoori Thakur
- Dashrath Manjhi
- Phanishwar Nath Renu
- Krishna Sinha
Gaya Prasad Kaityar was a dedicated Indian freedom fighter. Born at Jagadishpur, UP and joined Hindustan Socialist Republican Association in 1925. He got connected with Chandra Shekhar Azad and Bhagat Singh during the freedom struggle.
A participant in the Lahore Conspiracy Case, he was arrested in 1929 from Saharanpur.
He also went on a hunger strike at the Cellular Jail in Andaman.
He was repatriated in 1937 and arrested and transported to the cellular jail from where he was released in 1946.
Know About Hardayal Municipal Public Library
- Location: Chandni Chowk, New Delhi
- Oldest building in the locality to withstand years and advent of modern times.
- Library was set up in 1862.
- It has more than 1 lakh seventy thousand books in various languages such as Hindi, English, Urdu, Persian, Sanskrit and Arabic.
- This is one of the few libraries in the world with a collection of 8000 rare books.