Puerto Rico’s Stephanie Del Valle was crowned Miss World 2016 at the 66th edition of the event held at MGM National Harbour, Maryland in the US on 18th Dec 2016.
A total of 117 contestants were competing from countries across the globe.
Stephanie Del Valle beat runners up Miss Dominican Republic Yaritza Reyes and Miss Indonesia Natasha Mannuela.
Other contestants in the top 5 included Miss Philippines Catriona Elisa Gray and Miss Kenya Evelyn Njambi.
19-year-old Dev Valle became the second Puerto Rican to hold the title since the start of the competition in 1951.
The first Puerto Rican to win the title was Wilnelia Merced in the 1970s.
Miss India Priyadarshini Chatterjee fell out of the race after making it to the top 20.
20-year-old Chatterjee was the first from NE region to represent India at the World pageant.Other winners:
- Miss Mongolia, Bayartsetseg Altangerel: Talent challenge
- Miss Philippines Catriona Gray: Multimedia challenge
- Miss Indonesia Natasha Mannuela: Beauty with a Purpose title.
- Miss Cook Islands, Natalia Short: Sports challenge
- Miss China PR, Jing Kong: Top Model competition
The country to have the maximum number of winners is Venezuela with 6 Miss World titles, followed by India and the UK with 5 wins and then South Africa, US, Iceland, Sweden and Jamaica all of whom are tied with 3 wins each.
The last Indian to have won the Miss World Crown was Priyanka Chopra in 2000.
Prior to that, it was Yukta Mookhey in 1999 and Diana Hayden in 1997.
The first Indian to win this title was Reita Faria in 1966.
India also won the crown in 1994 when Aishwarya Rai won.Know More About Miss World Pageant
- Oldest surviving major international beauty pageant.
- Created by: Eric Morley
- Established: 1951 in UK.
- Co chaired by Julia Morley since 2000.