Reserve Bank of India has appointed Smt. Surekha Marandi as the ED in place of US Paliway who retired on Dec 31, the bank announced on 3rd Jan 2016.
RBI handed over charge to Marandi who assumed office on 2nd Jan 2016. She will look afterConsumer Education and Protection Department, Financial Inclusion and Development Department, and Secretary's Department, as per an RBI release.
Previous posts held by Marandi include serving on Boards of United Bank and Bank of Baroda.
Prior to being promoted as ED, Marandi was Principal Chief General Manager and Chief Vigilance Officer in the Reserve Bank.
She has, over a span of three decades, served in regulatory and supervisory, financial inclusion and development and human resource management areas in the Reserve Bank.Know More About Surekha Marandi
- Surekha Marandi started her career with the RBI in May 1983 and has over 30 years of banking experience.
- She has been working for various offices at the RBI, including departments of supervision, management services, information technology, human resources management, rural planning and credit.
- Along with holding many positions in various capacities such as Banking Ombudsman, Maharashtra and Goa, she has been associated with various committees.
- These are including committees on customer service, financial inclusion and education, financial stability and financial sector planning for the state of Chhattisgarh.
- She has been a Non Executive Director of Bank of Baroda since June 10, 2014.
- She served as a Nominee Director of United Bank of India from July 30, 2010 to March 13, 2014.
Marandi holds a Master's Degree in Arts from the Jadavpur University in Kolkata, West Bengal. She has trained at several foreign universities as well.