The UK ambassador to the EU, Sir Ivan Rogers on 3rd Jan 2016 unexpectedly resigned from the post weeks after Brexit negotiations with the economic bloc.
Senior diplomat Rogers was expected to lead Brexit negotiations with the economic bloc but said instead that leaving the EU could take up to 10 years.
Labour MP Hilary Benn is the chair of the UK Parliament Brexit Select Committee and said this will obstruct the handover.
Rogers was at the post of United Kingdom Permanent Representation to the European Union (UKRep).
This post represents the UK in negotiations that take place in the EU.
The team is sourced from 20 UK govt departments to ensure UK policies are explained to:
- EU member states
- European Commission
- European parliament
The civil servant was set to leave his post in Nov 2017, but is stepping down earlier.
- PM May announced invocation of A50 of the Lisbon Treaty.
- Official talks as per this treaty will be conducted on Brexit.
Organisations advocating and campaigning for a referendum:
- People's Pledge Labour for a Referendum
- Vote Leave (official lead group)
- Business for Britain Conservatives for Britain Students for Britain Labour Leave Leave.EU
- Bpoplive (cancelled) Grassroots Out Get Britain Out The Freedom Association
- Better Off Out
- Other anti-EU advocacy organisations :
- Bruges Group Campaign for an Independent Britain
- Britain Stronger in Europe (official lead group) Labour In for Britain European Movement UK
- Other pro-EU advocacy organisations:
- Britain in Europe
- British Influence Business for New Europe
- New Europeans Nucleus