The important 17th NAM Summit was held in Margarita Island in Venezuela from Sept 17 to 18.
NAM summit on 17th makes the second time PM of India will not be representing the nation at the summit.
Others who founded NAM include:
- India was one of the founding members of the Non Aligned Movement
- It hosted the 7th NAM Summit in 1983 in New Delhi
- Last NAM summit was held in Iran in 2012
- “The Summit is expected to deliberate on issues of contemporary relevance and concern such as terrorism, UN reform, the situation in West Asia, threats to peace and security, UN peacekeeping operations, climate change, and sustainable development,” stated a press release by the Ministry of External Affairs.
- NAM is a group of states not formally aligned or against major power blogs
- Organisation was founded in Belgrade in 1961 and largely conceived by India’s first PM Nehru
- Indonesia’s first president, Sukarno;
- Egypt’s second president, Gamal Abdel Nasser;
- Ghana’s first president Kwame Nkrumah;
- Yugoslavia’s president, Josip Broz Tito.
- All these leaders emphasised the middle course for states in developing part of the world in the cold war between Western and Eastern Blocs.
- As of 2012, NAM has 120 members