Video on Seating Arrangement
In this topic, there is a lot of raw data given. Based on this data certain conclusions are to be drawn.
The given raw data will help us to arrange the objects or people in a predetermined manner after performing necessary analysis over it.
Importance of topic
Questions from this topic are asked in several Entrance Exams such as CAT, CMAT, etc.
Should be familiar with all the directions. Refer the below given diagram.
If a person is facing North, then "Your left and right" will be the same as the "Person facing North".
If a person is facing South, then it will be a mirror image i.e. "Person’s Left" will be "Your Right" and vice-versa.
In "Circular Seating Arrangement" when all the persons are facing inwards or center - then
- Persons to his/her (specific person) right are in anti-clockwise direction.
- Persons to his/her (specific person) left are in clockwise direction.
Whereas when all the persons are facing outwards - then
- Persons to his/her (specific person) left are in anti-clockwise direction.
- Persons to his/her (specific person) right are in clockwise direction
Tricks to Solve questionsi. First go through the entire question and count total number of people and prepare a "Seating Frame".
1. If there are 7 persons in a single row.
2. If there are 4 persons on a circular table.
Creating such a "Seating Frame" will help to identify and mark the positions of the people from the given questions in an easy manner
ii. Solve individual statements and then merge all the solved small sets into a final complete set.
In seating arrangement, questions are mainly based on 4 main types:
1) Single Row
- Single Row
- Double Row
- Circular Table
- Square or Rectangular Table
A, B, C, D, E, F and G are 8 friends sitting in a single row facing North.
1. D is to the immediate right of C.
2. E and A are neighbors of F.
3. B is to the immediate left of C and on second place from left most end.
4. A is at the right most end.
1. Who is in between C and E?
d. None of these
2. Who are the neighbors of G?
a. B and C
b. Only B
c. A and F
d. E and D
3. What is the position of E?
d. None of the above
2) Double or Two rows Seating Arrangement
A) Consider following scenario:
i) Who is in the middle of the row of boys?
- Five boys Ashwin, Dipesh, Eshan, Chetan and Bipin and five girls Parul, Komal, Radha, Savita and Vimla sit in two rows facing towards each other. All the boys are in one row and all the girls in the other row.
- Eshan who is to the immediate right of Bipin and opposite to Parul is not at any end.
- Radha, who is immediate to the right of Komal and opposite to Chetan, is at one of the ends.
- Ashwin is opposite to Komal who is the third to the right of Savita.
- Dipesh and Vimla are not opposite each other.
d) None of these
ii) Who is immediately to the right of Parul?
iii) Who is opposite of Dipesh?
iv) How many boys are there between Ashwin and Bipin?
Six boys Ramesh, Suresh, Dipesh, Rupesh, Paresh, Kamlesh and six girls Seema, Geeta, Rita, Meena, Komal, Radha are standing in rows in such a way that each girl faces one boy, not necessarily in the same order. Seema is to the immediate right of the girl who is facing Paresh the boy at the extreme right. Only Suresh is sitting between Rupesh and Paresh. Kamlesh is to the immediate left of Ramesh and to the immediate right of Dipesh. Rita is facing Ramesh and is to the immediate left of Geeta. Radha is third to the left of Meena.
i) Which of the following girls is facing Rupesh?
ii) Which of the following pairs of a girl and a boy is at one of the extreme ends?
a) Komal - Dipesh
b) Meena - Kamlesh
c) Seema - Suresh
d) Geeta - Paresh
iii) Who is standing to the immediate left of Rupesh?
iv) Three of the following four are alike in certain way. Which is the one that does not belong to that group?
a) Ramesh - Radha
b) Suresh - Komal
c) Dipesh - Geeta
d) Rupesh - Radha
v) Which of the following are immediate neighbors of the one who is facing Rita?
a) Kamlesh, Dipesh
b) Suresh, Rupesh
c) Kamlesh, Rupesh
d) Kamlesh, Ramesh
ii) Komal - Dipesh
iv) Rupesh - Radha
v) Kamlesh - Rupesh
3) Circular Table
This type has two sub types:
1. Facing Inwards
2. Facing Outwards
3. Facing Inwards-Outwards
A) Facing Inwards
Six friends are sitting in a circle facing inwards.
1. Priti and Ashwini are exactly opposite to each other.
2. Sachin is in between Priti and Dipen.
3. Dipen is immediately to the left of Ashwini.
4. Rishi is not exactly opposite to Dipen.
1. Who are the neighbors of Dipen?
a. Rishi and Rupesh
b. Ashwini and Sachin
c. Priti and Sachin
d. None of these
2. Who is sitting opposite to Dipen?
3. Who is just right to Ashwini?
B) Facing Outwards
Six Friends A, B, C, D, E and F are sitting on a circular table facing outwards.
- E is between B and C.
- B and F are exactly opposite to each other.
- A is exactly to the right of B.
1. Who is in between D and B?
2. Who is exactly to the right of D?
3. Who are the neighbors of A?
a. B and D
b. B and E
c. F and E
d. F and C
B and D
C) Inwards - Outwards
Six Friends A, B, C, D, E and F are sitting on a circular table 2 facing inwards and are exactly opposite to each other and rest facing outwards.
- B is facing outwards and is left to C.
- F is in between E and D.
- E is facing inwards.
- A is 2nd
to the left of C.
- C is not facing inwards.
1. 2 persons exactly opposite to each other and facing center are:
a. B and F
b. B and C
c. A and E
d. E and B
A and E
2. If positions of B and D and F and C are interchanged, then who is 2 places left to B
3. E is in between
a. B and D
b. F and C
c. B and C
d. None of the above
F and C
4. Who is to the immediate right of A
d. None of the above
4) Rectangular Seating Arrangement
A) In a group discussion A, B, C, D, E and F are sitting around a rectangular table.
- A is sitting on a side alone.
- B, C are sitting on the same side.
- F is facing A.
- D is the immediate left of F.
- C is facing D.
i) Who is immediate right of A?
ii) Who is between B and F?
L, M, N, O, P, Q, R and S are sitting around a square table in such a way that four of them sit at four corners of the square while four sit in the middle of each of the four sides. The ones who sit at the four corners face the centre while those who sit in the middle of the sides face outside. Two females sit in the middle of the sides and two at the corners.
- L sits second to the left of R.
- R sits in the middle of one of the sides.
- N sits fourth to the right of his wife and his wife is not an immediate neighbor of L or R.
- M sits third to right of her husband.
- M does not sit at any of the corners.
- Only O sits between M and S.
- S is husband of L.
- P is a male.
i) Which of the following is true with respect to given seating arrangement?
a) No two males are immediate neighbors of each other.
b) R and S face each other in the seating arrangement.
c) L sits in the centre of one of the sides of the square table.
d) Q is a male and sits diagonally opposite to P.
ii) Who amongst the following is M’s husband?
iii) How many people sit between M and N when counted in anti- clock wise direction from M?
iv) Who amongst the following is the wife of N?
v) What is the position of P with respect to N?
a) Immediately to the right
b) Second to the left
c) Third to the right
d) Second to the right
i) L sits in the centre of one of the sides of the square table.
v) Second to the right