Literacy v/s Education
Literacy v/s Education
India is among one of the major countries that is recognized as a knowledge and education hub. It has got a talent pool in different pools including medicine, management, technology and others. Many big companies prefer to hire the human resources from India as it has got a higher number of management graduates passing every year. However, the one question that strikes here is literacy another name of education? If the country has high literacy levels, does it mean country has highly educated people? Let us analysis the fight literacy v/s education:
• Literacy and education are termed as same thing but the literacy has got indirect relation with education. Literacy is about acquiring the skills and learning, while education is about applying these skills and learning for benefit of other people. Society or country.
• Literacy mainly revolves around acquiring the ability to read and write whereas education is about overall development of a person making it a complete human who not only read or
write but also has the ability to think in broader terms and analysis the things rationally.
• Every literate person cannot be called an educated person. Education is a much broader concept than literacy.
• Literacy cannot make a person wise but education makes a person wiser and provides with the understanding of distinguishing between right and wrong.
• The learning received while becoming a literate can be forgotten but education lives when even the learning is forgotten.
• Literacy might make people feel superior to others, but only educated people are superior who know how to respect elders and pay due importance to their colleagues work.
• The people who can read and write, but use abusive and fowl language are literate but definitely not educated.
• Literate people working at higher positions and misusing their positions and degrading others are the biggest example of uneducated people.
Education is about knowing your skills, abilities and the learning, and then using them in the right direction at the right time. Educational institutions can make all the students literate but cannot make all of them educated. Education changes a person as a whole. Educated people understand their responsibility towards the society and country. It is more of using the ethical practices to bring a real change in the society.
- RE: Literacy v/s Education -Prashant Dongre (09/20/16)
- completely agree with you....we should make changes in education system..
make a child educated not literate..
- RE: Literacy v/s Education -Ash (04/29/15)
- The terms 'Literacy' and 'Education' may sound synonymous but there is a fine line of difference between the two. We can say that every educated person is literate but the vice versa is not always true.
To give an example, we can consider the Swachh Bharat campaign by our Hon. Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The Literate people understood the terms of the campaign well enough but all of them did not necessarily take active part in the campaign. However the educated people, took active participation in the campaign to bring about changes.
My point here in giving this example is that, educated people have a vision, a goal towards which they strive to work. The same is not the case with every literate person.
The basic difference between educated and literate people is the vision or the goal and dream that they possess.
- RE: Literacy v/s Education -Ani Patel (04/28/15)
- No credible sources. No references. No citations. Completely useless for educational purposes. Complete waste of time.
- RE: Literacy v/s Education -amitabh vivek (11/20/14)
- literacy and education are two different terms. In INDIA any person who is more than 7 years of age can read and write in at least on official language is considered to be literate. But education is concerned with the overall development of a person. An educated person has skill, knowledge and the capacity of taking correct step at right time. Education comprises of study, general awareness and being social.
- RE: Literacy v/s Education -JEET (08/24/14)
- hi friends
As we all know literacy is the first step of learning And after learning(read, write.speak ) one person can be said as literate. We can say that person is educated when the learning knowledge is applied to individual development as well as for the community. Take an illustration of the theoretical knowledge and practical knowledge nearly same as literate and educated. As one of my friend told that literate people only use slangs word am not agree that much on this comment. Again another friend told that literate people are more involved in rape cases because they are not educated . My friend educated is not only the reason for rape it's also depends mentality of people whiz involving in such type of action. Yes there might be chance the cases will be less for educated people. Thanks
- RE: Literacy v/s Education -sss (08/24/14)
- For real change we need to have educated minds NT merely literate stuffed heads...
- RE: Literacy v/s Education - j l (08/15/14)
- hello evry1
As literacy is all about acquiring the skills and knowledge and education is about applying that acquired knowledge, so a person firstly become literate then educated and those individuals who are only literate but not educated majorly involves in heinous crimes like rape, murder etc, it is needed to educate them moral values.
- RE: Literacy v/s Education -Shreya (07/21/14)
- Hi folks,
I believe literacy and education though are two different things, but go hand-in-hand to make a complete individual. Literacy without education is not worth praising." Honesty is the best policy", is something we have read in our books throughout our school life, but application of our knowledge, skills and ethics gained from our elderlies, is what should be called education. Though we have people who have merely acquired literacy but have proved to be great men of all times., but basic literacy is what is required in every individual, to understand the importance of education. Application of all our knowledge in the right manner and right direction, to mark difference between what is right and what is wrong, and work for the betterment of our people and society is what I believe is Education
- RE: Literacy v/s Education -rohit chaturvedi (07/21/14)
- i would like to add to this discussion that in some way or other literacy is indirectly related to education. only a literate person can be made educated, so in my views literacy is the path thru which education can be achieved. we shuld work on increasing the literacy ratio becoz wen it increases then only the education ratio can be increased. thus i wuld like to conclude that literacy and education are two faces of the same coin.
- RE: Literacy v/s Education -sasanka (07/20/14)
- education has its own significant .but literacy is the primary step to get educated . leteracy create an interest to get educated & study more so that we can place our country at top level .so foreign companies are need indian employes as management students in india's are more educated & they know that when this person will join to our company it will increase our profit & increase our GDP . But unfortunately poverty is more in our country so maximum childrens are not going to school due to poverty . literate persons stills are using fowl words due to environment , so all literate persons are not educated . so we have to decrease our poverty lebel of country so that educated lebel is increase & our country will be at top lebel . thank you . have a gud day.
- RE: Literacy v/s Education -sravani (07/20/14)
- Hiiii frnds.I want to differentiate between the literacy and education.As everyone knows that education is part of our life but when the person is educated means that person must be literate then he\she will be educated.Itsn't like that the literate person is compulsory educated this is based on their capabilities.It is upto u only.
- RE: Literacy v/s Education -mounika.R (07/16/14)
- hai everyone, i want to say that there us a lot tof difference between literacy and education.
for example, a person who knows all the recipes very well is not said to be a good chef but the person who knows to cook is said to be good chef. like that a person who is literate is not educated. literacy is like a path to reach destiny education is like a source to reach the destiny in a right way. a literate person knows how to read , write but an educated person knows how to apply it. he can distinguish what is right and what is wrong. i want to conclude that litearcy and education are different streams. one has to be compyulsory educated though he is not literate.
- RE: Literacy v/s Education -Deepa Kaushik (06/27/14)
- Every educated person is literate, however, every literate is not necessarily educated. Literacy is concerned with the art of reading and writing. It is just a task, a note that the person can read and write, the ability to understand. Whereas, education is a more civilised term; which includes the phenomena of knowledge and skill.
The literacy rate of a country denotes that ratio of the citizens who are capable enough of understand the worldly happenings. This has no charm to add to the country. It is the education level of our country that attracts the foreign nationals to have a hold on our intelligence and pull the creamy layer causing the brain drain.
Literacy rate has its own significance, as it is the one that makes a person more oriented towards getting educated. The literate person can better understand the necessity to step up to match the pace of the world. He could be the one who can take better decisions in comparison to an illiterate person. However, the education always has a upper hand over literacy. The education level is the one to determine the country’s fate. It is the one that is going to develop an economy. Hence, though the debate can last long, but the education definitely wins over the literacy.