Explain the functions of the CU and ALU in the CPU of a computer.
The characteristics of the CU or control unit are as follows:
- This part of the of the CPU is the one that is in charge of all the operations being carried out.
- It is responsible to direct the system to execute instructions.
- It helps in communication between the memory and the arithmetic logical unit.
- It also aids in the loading of data and instructions residing in the secondary memory to the main memory as required.
The characteristics of the ALU are as follows:
- The ALU is responsible for performing all logical and arithmetic operations.
- Some of the arithmetic operations are as follows: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Some of the logical operations are as follows: comparison between numbers, letter and or special characters.
- The ALU is also responsible for the following conditions: Equal-to conditions, Less-than condition and greater than condition.