Banning Beef - Is it justified?
Banning Beef – Is it justified?
President Pranab Mukherjee has finally passed “Maharashtra Animal Preservation Bill”, 1995 which prohibits slaughtering of bullocks and bulls in the state of Maharashtra. There were mixed reactions after the 20 years old bill was passed. Where the Congress supported the action, NCP did not look very happy about the consequences that the bill might have on people. The Beef ban bill states that anyone found with beef or selling may be imprisoned up to 5 years and penalized for Rs 10000. Let us see how judicious the act is. Should Beef be banned in Maharashtra?
- It will end the riots related to cow and bull slaughter. It will be seen as a legal offense and not religious. The lines will be drawn clear.
- Animal rights would be empowered by such acts.
- Cow slaughter is banned in Maharashtra since 1976.The ban extends to bullocks and bull, which can be slaughtered with certificate and permission. An extension of the bill is absolutely justified.
- It is vital to respect sentiments in a pluralistic democracy. A majority of Hindus consider cow and bulls slaughter as a sin.
- It will encourage people to turn to vegetarianism or vegan. It will further encourage state to ban killing of other animals.
- A large number of people associated with the Beef industry will be unemployed. These people might involve in illegal trade.
- Beef is a cheaper source of protein compared to other forms and banning it will deprive the poor section of it.
- The ban is only on the beef from the Indian buffaloes that burden the farmers breeding them. It had been an alternate source of income for them.
- There will be losses in the Export business as a large part of beef export will be impacted by the ban.
- Various industries such as Pharma will be affected as many of their products involve ingredients like fats from buffaloes.
- State does not have a right to impose a certain food culture in any form on people. If it does, it becomes a theocratic state.
- It will hamper the cattle economy. There will be no one who will nurture buffalo, cows or bulls, which are neither useful for meat nor agricultural purposes.
- Nothing is done about imported beef. There are many restaurants that use Angus beef from USA and Australia.
Are you telling people to stop drinking milk just because it comes from a cow? It seems to be the same case here. People should be given a right to eat what they like.
You may like