Career in Genetic Engineering - options and opportunities
Career in Genetic Engineering - options and opportunities - Introduction, options, opportunities, courses, institutes, exams etc.
- RE: Career in Genetic Engineering - options and opportunities -ravikant kumar (02/10/17)
- sir,i am interested in genetics. suggest me how i got job in goverment lab and biocon company.what will be do? i am student of nit durgapur,dept. of biotechnology.
- RE: Career in Genetic Engineering - options and opportunities -Rohit Sharma (12/01/11)
Genetic engineering is the latest and one of the growing fields. It consists of principles of sciences and wide range of techniques used to study the change in genetic material of the living organism. It is one of the complicated field which deals with the study of biological changes in living organisms. It is the branch of biotechnology which deals with the study of cells (smallest living unit), structural and functional unit of living organisms. Genetic engineering helps the engineers to study the behavior of the DNA in the body and gene using artificial methods. Engineers perform various activities such as extracting DNA out from organism; study its changes in the structure and putting back into it. This involves the study of plants, animals and human beings.
Performance and growth of industry in India
The growth of genetic engineering is being considered both in India as well as abroad. India has shown major increase in biotech industry which consists of 325 companies including Biocon, Serum Institute of India. Biotech industry is contributing around 27% of total revenues in India. Industries have shown fair business worldwide and the industry is been grown in April-May 2007 by 30.9%. There were assumptions too that the industry in India will show the growth by 2010 with US $ 270 million. The growth of genetic study has also increased and people showed interest in carrying on with its career. More technological advancement is pouring in this field to make it better for the researcher to do research and find the better solution for the genetic problems which are occurring nowadays.
Options and Opportunities
The demand for genetic engineers is increasing in India as well as abroad. Genetic engineers focuses on study of genetics in all the living organisms and they are well suited in the field of pharmaceutical and medical industries, agricultural and research and development departments of the government and private sectors. These engineers can also take up teaching as a career.
- M.Sc in Plant Breeding and Genetics
- Certificate Course in Genetic Engineering
- For a graduate degree (B.E/B.Tech) a candidate is required to pass 10+2 with biology, chemistry and mathematics.
- For Master’s degree, a candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in science or molecular biology.
Some good institutes
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Amravati University, Amravati
- Banasthali Vidyapeeth, Rajasthan
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, TN
- Bose Institute, Calcutta
- Calicut University, Kozhikode, Kerala
- Centre for Biotechnology, Anna University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Centre for Biotechnology, Pondicherry University, Pondichery
- Centre for Plant Molecular Biology, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore
- Department of Biotechnology, Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
- Department of Biotechnology, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar.
- Department of Biotechnology, Jadavpur University, Calcutta
- Department of Biotechnology, Punjab University.
- Department of Microbiology, M.S. University, Vadodara- Gujarat.
- Department of Zoology, Poona University, Pune, Maharashtra.
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad
- Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Uttar Pradesh.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad-Andhra Pradesh.
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- All India Common Entrance Test
- All India Engineering Entrance Exams
- All India Postgraduate Medical Entrance exams
- Assam Joint entrance Test in Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
- Indian Institute of Technology – Joint Entrance Exam
- International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology Entrance Exam
- Jawaharlal Nehru University Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology Entrance Exam (JNU EEE)
- SRM University Genetic Engineering Entrance Exam
- Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test (TANCET) Genetic Engineering Entrance Exam