English Grammar and correct usage online test – 2
1. Which alternative best describes the meaning of the below given idiom/ phrase.
i. A hot potato
a. Very expensive
b. Faced with difficult choices
c. Being extremely angry over some issue
d. Speak of a current issue which is usually disputedView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: d. Speak of a current issue which is usually disputed
2. Two sentences are given below. Combine both the sentences in a way so that the meaning of both the sentence should remain the same. Choose the correct option.
i. She takes care of my children. She takes care of my parents
a. Not only… but also
b. As well as
c. Neither nor
d. Only… but alsoView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. Not only… but also
3. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate word to complete the below mentioned sentence.
Take this agreement and sign your name ________________mine.
e. WithView Answer / Hide Answer
4. The sentence given below is mentioned in Direct/ Indirect Speech. Choose the correct alternative that best expresses the sentence in Indirect/ Direct speech.
i. The king was impressed with the magician and asked, ‘what can I do for you’.
a. The king being impressed with the magician asked him what he can do for him
b. The king got impressed with the magician and asked him what he should do for him
c. The king was impressed with the magician and asked what he could do for him
d. All of the aboveView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: c. The king was impressed with the magician and asked what he could do for him
5. The sentence below is given in either Active/ Passive Voice. Choose the correct alternative that expresses the same sentence in Passive/ Active Voice.
i. The choir really enjoys that particular piece of music.
a. That particular piece of music is really enjoyed by the choir
b. The choir is enjoying that particular piece of music
c. That particular piece of music, the choir is really enjoying
d. The choir is really enjoying that particular piece of musicView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. That particular piece of music is really enjoyed by the choir
6. The below given two words have a certain relationship. Choose the correct alternative that also portrays a specific relationship amongst each other.
a. Temperature : Atmospheric pressure
b. Hygrometer : Barometer
c. Yard stick : Length
d. Thermometer: Temperature
e. Time : ClockView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: d. Thermometer: Temperature
7. Find the odd man out from the below given alternatives.
e. AnalogyView Answer / Hide Answer
8. Choose the correct alternative that depicts the correct spelling of the below given words.
d. ScoobreousView Answer / Hide Answer
9. Choose the correct alternative that depicts the meaning of the below given word.
d. ProngView Answer / Hide Answer
10. Select the combination of numbers so that letters/ words arranged accordingly will form a meaningful word.
I F Y T A R
1 2 3 4 5 6
d. 231465View Answer / Hide Answer
11. Choose the correct alternative that represents the antonym of the below given word.
d. RecreationView Answer / Hide Answer
12. Rearrange the alternatives given below between 1 and 6 sentences to form a coherent paragraph.
1. How sad is that?
A. What does that say about our selection of managers and supervisors, since hopefully, we put great thought in selecting these people?
B. Did you not understand they need mentoring, advice and training, all along the way?
C. If only 12% feel they excel in what they define as the most important skill they feel should have, where are we all heading?
D. Did you not make it clear?
6. If they can’t motivate your people, we all lose.
d. CABDView Answer / Hide Answer
13. In the below given sentence, choose the words which have the same meaning and can be used in the same context as the part given in bold in both the sentences.
i. One of my experienced Guardians will be joining
you and help you root out the traitors.
ii. The relationship between my parents is the deepest bond
that I have ever overcome across.
d. LinkageView Answer / Hide Answer
14. There are 2 sentences given below with two homonyms typed in bold which may be either mis – spelt or inappropriate in the context of the sentences. Read both the sentences carefully and decide on their correctness on the basis of the bold words.
i. One night I saw a crowd on a street and heard piteous wails
ii. Destiny coughed and sat up with a wale
that sounded more like a broken growl.
a. If only sentence i is correct
b. If only sentence ii is correct
c. If both the sentences are correct
d. If both the sentences are incorrect but can be corrected by interchanging the words marked in bold.
e. If both the sentences are incorrect and cannot be interchanged as well.View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: c. If both the sentences are correct
15. Rearrange the below given alternatives to form a coherent sentence.
A. Change in a sectoral environment
B. To management of systematic change
C. The critical issues in
D. Infrastructure today boil down
d. CBADView Answer / Hide Answer
16. Find out which alternative given below can replace the sentence given below.
The practice of adding fluoride to drinking water to prevent tooth decay
d. FlurriedView Answer / Hide Answer
17. Choose the part of the sentence that contains error. If there is no error choose the option ‘e’ stating ‘no error’.
a. I walked
b. To my hostel
d. From the railway station
e. No errorView Answer / Hide Answer
18. The sentence given below consists of a word marked in bold. Choose the correct alternative that suggests a better version of the word mentioned in bold.
i. Such was his pronunciation as
I could not understand him.
d. BecauseView Answer / Hide Answer
19. In the below given passage, there are blanks which are numbered. Fill in the blanks choosing the correct alternative mentioned against each number.
The precursors of adult creativity 1
clearly evident in young children. Just as all 2
are not equally intelligent, all children are not 3
creative. But just as all children exhibit behaviours 4
evidence intelligence from birth, they also 5
behaviours, which evidence the potential for creativity.
1. a. Are b. There c. Is d. Of
2. a. Child b. Childs c. Children d. On
3. a. Equals b. Equality c. Equal d. Equally
4. a. What b. Which c. Why d. When
5. a. Exhibit b. Exhibits c. Exhibited d. Exhibition
1 - a, 2 - c, 3 - d, 4 - b, 5 - a
1 - b, 2 - a, 3 - b, 4 - c, 5 - d
1 - c, 2 - b, 3 - c, 4 - a, 5 - a
1 - d, 2 - c, 3 - d, 4 - b, 5 - cView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: 1 - a, 2 - c, 3 - d, 4 - b, 5 - a
20. Complete the below mentioned sentence.
i. As females grow up in our culture, ________________
a. They are taught not to be confrontational
b. Not to make a scene
c. They are not allowed to go out
d. They are taught not to speak loudly.View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. They are taught not to be confrontational