English Grammar and correct usage online test – 3
1. Choose the best alternative to complete the below given sentence.
The process of scientific investigation demands that conclusions shall be drawn on the basis of thorough investigation alone, ______________
a. Without contemplating empirical testing
b. Without consideration for what any school of thought believes
c. Regardless of further investigation
d. Irrespective of the nature of the outcomeView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: b. Without consideration for what any school of thought believes
2. Rearrange the below mentioned alternatives to form a coherent paragraph.
A. All individuals of the same species are not identical
B. In one clutch of eggs from, for example, a giant tortoise, some hatchlings will develop longer necks than others
C. Put briefly, Darwin’s argument was this
D. In times of draught, they will be able to reach leaves and so survive.
d. CDABView Answer / Hide Answer
3. In this question, a sentence is split into four parts; mark the part that has a grammatical error.
a. An ambivalent man
b. Is a person
c. Whose mind wavers
d. Among two or more attitudesView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: d. Among two or more attitudes
4. In the below given sentence choose the best option that replaces the underlined portion.
i. Compassion means that we do not play the game of hypocrisy or self – deceiving.
a. Hypocrisy or self - deception
b. Hypocrites and self - deceiving
c. Hypocrites who are self - deceivers
d. Self - deceivers who are not hypocritesView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. Hypocrisy or self - deception
5. Choose the odd word out.
d. RazeView Answer / Hide Answer
6. Certain sentences based on the same theme are given as alternatives. Decide which sentence is the most preferable with respect to grammar.
a. The mightier will be naturally recognised as leader.
b. The mightier should be naturally recognised as a leader.
c. The mightiest would be naturally recognised as an leader.
d. The mightiest was naturally recognised as the leader.View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: d. The mightiest was naturally recognised as the leader.
7. Rearrange the below given alternatives to form a grammatically correct sentence.
A. not so good at building
B. at destroying public institutions
C. them or keeping them going
D. We Indians are very good.
d. CBADView Answer / Hide Answer
8. There are 2 sentences given below with two homonyms typed in bold which may be either mis – spelt or inappropriate in the context of the sentences. Read both the sentences carefully and decide on their correctness on the basis of the bold words.
i. Her words escaped before she thought to philter
ii. Mother always filter
her children under all circumstances
a. If only sentence i is correct
b. If only sentence ii is correct
c. If both the sentences are correct
d. If both the sentences are incorrect but can be corrected by interchanging the words marked in bold.
e. If both the sentences are incorrect and cannot be interchanged as well.View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: d. If both the sentences are incorrect but can be corrected by interchanging the words marked in bold.
9. The sentence given below is mentioned in Direct/ Indirect Speech. Choose the correct alternative that best expresses the sentence in Indirect/ Direct speech.
i. Looking at my health, doctor advised not to smoke and drink.
a. Doctor said to me looking at my health, “Do not smoke or drink”.
b. Doctor asked me not to smoke and drink after he looked at my health.
c. Doctor, looking at my health asked me not to smoke and drink.
d. Looking at me health, the doctor advised me not to smoke or drink. View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. Doctor said to me looking at my health, “Do not smoke or drink”.
10. The sentence below is given in either Active/ Passive Voice. Choose the correct alternative that expresses the same sentence in Passive/ Active Voice.
i. Who taught you to Ski?
a. Ski was taught to you by whom?
b. Who is going to teach you to ski?
c. By whom were you taught to ski?
d. Who shall you learning from to ski?View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: c. By whom were you taught to ski?
11. Choose the correct alternative that best explains the meaning of the underlined phrase in the below mentioned sentence.
Sometimes you can seem to be under the weather
, but you don’t what’s wrong with you.
a. Feel slightly ill
b. Go to bed
c. Have negative thinking
d. Stuck in a bad situation.View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. Feel slightly ill
12. Two sentences are given below. Combine both the sentences in a way so that the meaning of both the sentence should remain the same. Choose the correct option.
i. He turns out to the light the seamy side of human life. He does not lose faith in the just and true.
c. And yet
d. ThoughView Answer / Hide Answer
13. The below given two words have a certain relationship. Choose the correct alternative that also portrays a specific relationship amongst each other.
i. Presumption : Certainty
a. Theorem : Proof
b. Hearsay : Authenticity
c. Hunch : Guess
d. Falsehood : TruthView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: b. Hearsay : Authenticity
14. Choose the correct alternative that best describes the synonym of the below mentioned word.
d. ApathyView Answer / Hide Answer
15. Choose the correct alternative that best describes the opposite of the word mentioned below.
d. HatredView Answer / Hide Answer
16. Select the combination of numbers so that letters/ words arranged accordingly will form a meaningful word.
L Z A E
1 2 3 4
d. 2314View Answer / Hide Answer
17. Choose the correct alternative that depicts the correct spelling of the below given words.
d. RavenisnessView Answer / Hide Answer
18. Fill in the blank to complete the below given sentence which is grammatically correct.
i. Having placed ____________ proposals before you, I now _________your decision.
a. Alternative, await
b. Alternate, waited for
c. Many, am waiting
d. Different, wait toView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: Alternative, await
19. The below given sentences have two words marked in bold. The meaning of both the words remains the same in context to the sentence, find the meaning for the words.
i. Due to the movie being a hit, the theatres huge crowds flung
into the theatre.
ii. For a long time she sat awake in the dark yet she was unable to staunch
the flow of her tears.
e. PouredView Answer / Hide Answer
20. In the below given passage, there are blanks which are numbered. Fill in the blanks choosing the correct alternative mentioned against each number.
The state governments 1
their municipal laws to fall in line with the 74th amendment, by 2
for: regular elections, protection 3
indiscriminate Supersession, 4
of seats for women and 5
1. a. Amended b. Amendment c. Amends d. Amend
2. a. Provide b. Providing c. Provided d. Provides
3. a. Though b. By c. From d. And
4. a. Reserve b. Reserves c. Reserved d. Reservation
5. a. To b. And c. For d. Is
1-c, 2-b, 3-a, 4-a, 5-d
1-a, 2-d, 3-c, 4-b, 5-c
1-b, 2-a, 3-d, 4-d, 5-a
1-a, 2-b, 3-c, 4-d, 5-c View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: 1-a, 2-b, 3-c, 4-d, 5-c