English Grammar and correct usage test – Sep 29, 2014
1. Four sentences on the same theme are given. Choose the best alternative that represents the sentence grammatically and logically correct.
a. If the flesh is weak, then the answer is more and good discipline.
b. If the flesh is weak, then the answer is more and best discipline
c. If the flesh is weak, then the answer is more and better discipline
d. If the flesh is also weak, then you answer as more and good discipline.View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: c. If the flesh is weak, then the answer is more and better discipline
2. The below given sentences have two words marked in bold. The meaning of both the words remains the same in context to the sentence, find the meaning for the words.
i. The dean tried to pull
away but unable to move.
ii. She grabbed the note pad and wrote
a brand name and quantity.
e. MadeView Answer / Hide Answer
3. There are 2 sentences given below with two homonyms typed in bold which may be either mis – spelt or inappropriate in the context of the sentences. Read both the sentences carefully and decide on their correctness on the basis of the bold words.
i. They gave us a wide berth;
we were more worried they might run around.
ii. I thought about substituting her birth
control pills with something.
a. If only sentence i is correct
b. If only sentence ii is correct
c. If both the sentences are correct
d. If both the sentences are incorrect but can be corrected by interchanging the words marked in bold.
e. If both the sentences are incorrect and cannot be interchanged as well.View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. If only sentence i is correct
4. State the meaning of the below mentioned idiom/ phrase.
i. Draw a red herring across the path
a. To heed
b. To introduce an irrelevant point
c. To have fancy ideas
d. To recapitulateView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: b. To introduce an irrelevant point
5. Choose the correct alternative that best represents the below given statement in one word.
i. A bird that has a fat body and feathers on its legs.
d. GrouseView Answer / Hide Answer
6. State the synonym for the below given word.
d. CelebrityView Answer / Hide Answer
7. A relationship is observed in the below given words. Choose the alternative that represents the same relationship.
i. France : Spain : Germany
a. Iraq : Kuwait : Iran
b. Sri Lanka : Japan : India
c. Japan : China : Turkey
d. Canada : California : MexicoView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. Iraq : Kuwait : Iran
8. Choose the odd word out.
d. HermitView Answer / Hide Answer
9. Choose the correct alternative that either represents the synonym or the antonym of the below given word.
d. SwaggerView Answer / Hide Answer
10. Choose the correct spelling of the below given word.
d. Subjunctive View Answer / Hide Answer