English Grammar and correct usage test – Sep 30, 2014
1. The sentence given below is mentioned in Active/ Passive Voice. Choose the correct alternative that best expresses the sentence in Passive/ Active Voice.
i. The homeowners remodelled the house to help it sell.
a. The house will be remodelled by the homeowners to help it sell
b. The house shall be remodelled by the homeowners to help it sell
c. The house was remodelled by the homeowners to help it sell
d. The homeowners remodelled the house to help it sellView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: c. The house was remodelled by the homeowners to help it sell
2. The sentence given below is mentioned in Direct/ Indirect Speech. Choose the correct alternative that best expresses the sentence in Indirect/ Direct speech.
i. He said that the storm that had come last evening destroyed the village.
a. He said, “The storm that came last evening destroyed the village.”
b. He says, “The storm that came last evening destroys the village.”
c. He said, “The storm that comes last evening destroyed the village.
d. He said, “The storm that will come last evening destroys the village.”View Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a. He said, “The storm that came last evening destroyed the village.”
3. Two sentences are given below. Combine both the sentences in a way so that the meaning of both the sentence should remain the same. Choose the correct option.
i. He finished his work. He went to the market
d. HavingView Answer / Hide Answer
4. The below given sentences have two words marked in bold. The meaning of both the words remains the same in context to the sentence, find the meaning for the words.
i. Dinner will be ready
at six 0’ clock
ii. It was abnormal in Europe, even if their society held no such apparent
d. ClearView Answer / Hide Answer
5. Choose the correct alternative that either represents the antonym or synonym for the below given word.
d. PhialView Answer / Hide Answer
6. Rearrange the alternatives between 1 and 6 to form a coherent paragraph.
i. Most of the time our problem does not lie in any genuine imperfections.
A. The truth is, we have low self – esteem mostly because we believe a lot of things that aren’t true!
B. The solution lies not in learning to love ourselves more, but in disliking ourselves less.
C. We have no legitimate reasons to dislike it doubt ourselves and, consequently, no reason to have inadequate self – esteem resulting in shyness.
D. As Earnest Holmes, the founder of the Church of Religious Science said, “Change your thoughts, change your life.”
vi. We can achieve high self – esteem by letting good the harmful, incorrect beliefs and unrealistic expectations from ourselves, that keep us from experiencing it.
d. ABCDView Answer / Hide Answer
7. Rearrange the following alternatives to form a coherent sentence.
A. Missing from the ceramic pots
B. Which somehow have a cheap bazar look
C. This rugged nativity is
D. Vases and tall jars made by the urban potters
d. CADBView Answer / Hide Answer
8. Choose the best alternative that can replace the underlined portion in the below given sentence.
i. Standards of reportage in the profession have actually risen in recent years, with specialists lending credibility to the printed word.
a. With specialists who have lend credibility to the printed word
b. With specialists lending credibility to the printed word
c. By specialists lending credibility for the printed word
d. As specialists lending credibility to the printed wordView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: b. With specialists lending credibility to the printed word
9. Complete the below mentioned sentence using the appropriate alternative.
i. We hoped that the mediator would reconcile the diverging points of view, but to our dismay, he _________ the already simmering situation to a flash point.
d. ReduceView Answer / Hide Answer
10. A sentence has been divided into four parts. Choose the alternative that contains error.
a. Many a man
b. Have committed
c. This crime
d. AlreadyView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: b. Have committed