▼ Wall of Valour launched in educational institutions [05-3-17]
Shri Prakash Javadekar and Minister of State for Defence Dr. Subhash Bhamre jointly launched a campaign to have a ‘Wall of Valour’ in 1,000 educational institutions across the country.
Portraits of Param Vir Chakra (PVC) decorated soldiers will be displayed at designated places on educational campuses to instil sense of nationalism among the students.
This is part of a nationwide ‘Vidya Veerta Abhiyan’, initiated by writer and former Rajya Sabha member Shri Tarun Vijay.
Potraits of these gallant heroes were given to Vice Chancellors of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), University of Delhi (DU), Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI). In addition, VCs of different universities, including Arunachal Pradesh.
The representative from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi also received portraits from them.
On the occasion, Grenadier Yogender Singh Yadav and Rifleman Sanjay Kumar, both PVC awardees, also spoke of their experiences.
Param Vir Chakra Recipients
- Major Somnath Sharma, 4 Kumaon, (Posthumous), 1947
- Second Lieutenant Rama Raghoba Rane, Bombay Sappers, 1948
- Company Havildar Major Piru Singh, 6 Rajputana Refiles, (Posthumous), 1948
- Lance Naik Karam Singh, 1 Sikh, 1948
- Naik Jadunath Singh, 1 Rajput, (Posthumous), 1948
- Captain Gurbachan Singh Salaria, 3/1 Gorkha Rifles, (Posthumous), 1961
- Major Shaitan Singh, 13 Kumaon, (Posthumous), 1962
- Subedar Joginder Singh, 1 Sikh, (Posthumous), 1962
- Major Dhan Singh Thapa, 1/8 Gorkha Rifles, 1962
- Company Quartermaster Havildar Abdul Hamid, 4 Grenadiers, (Posthumous), 1965
- Lieutenant Colonel A B Tarapore, Poona Horse, (Posthumous), 1965
- Flying Officer Nirmal Jit Singh Sekhon, 18 Squadron, (Posthumous), 1971
- Major Hoshiar Singh, 3 Grenadiers, 1971
- Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal, Poona Horse, (Posthumous), 1971
- Lance Naik Albert Ekka, 14 Guards, (Posthumous), 1971
- Major Ramaswamy Parameswaran, 8 Mahar, (Posthumous), 1987
- Naib Subedar Bana Singh, 8 JAK LI, 1987
- Grenadier Yogender Singh Yadav, 18 Grenadiers, 1999
- Captain Vikram Batra, 13 Jammu and Kashmir Rifles, (Posthumous), 1999
- Rifleman Sanjay Kumar, 13 Jammu and Kashmir Rifles, 1999
- Lieutenant Manoj Kumar Pandey, 7/11 Gorkha Rifles (Posthumous), 1999
▼ Asian Universities Alliance launched by China [05-2-17]
Continuing with its drive to take a leadership position in different aspects of Asian life, China on April 30, 2017 launched an Asian Universities Alliance with participation by universities from 15 countries.
From India, the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, has become a member.
The alliance, which has been put together by the elite Tsinghua University in Beijing, aims to promote exchanges of students and teaching faculties across different universities in Asia.
They will also come together to promote joint research in a range of areas.
IIT, Bombay has a collaboration with Monash University in Australia making it possible for students to access wider education opportunities and receive degrees signed by presidents of two universities.
Similar collaboration may be possible with other member universities in this Asian alliance, he said.
Alliance partners include the Peking University in Beijing, University of Tokyo, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Singapore National University, and many more.