Examinations - has it killed education?
It’s true that examinations help to evaluate an individual academically, however following are some negative aspects:-
- Exams unnecessarily pressurize the student.
- In India especially, there are many exams annually. Student barely has any time for extra curricular activities.
- Most of the exams structure and design are not sufficient to evaluate the real capabilities of the student.
- Exams in India are based on marks. Grades can be an appropriate mechanism.
If exams can be a curse, it can also help a child:-
- It helps the student stay connected to his books and keep him on his toes.
- Exams help the student understand pressure which he/she will face in their professional lives.
- Exams help in facing competition.
- If students are only taught, there is no way to judge if they have understood what is being taught.
Exams should not be theoretical. Most questions should be multiple choice and objective to really understand the analytical ability of the child.
As long as the Exams are not very theoretical and are prepared to evaluate a students understanding ability rather than marks, examinations are definitely important. Moreover, it should be understood that judging a student mere on marks cannot be justified.