Advantages and disadvantages of partnership firms posted by
What are the advantages and disadvantages of partnership firms?
Advantages of Partnership Firm:
1. Easy Formation : Registration is not compulsory in the case
of Partnership firm. It can be formed without any legal formality and expenses.
Thus they are simple and economical to form and operate.
2. Larger Resources : Due the more number of members the
partnership firm has larger resources for the business operations as compared
to sole proprietorship.
3. Flexibility in operation : Due to the limited number of
partners there is flexibility in the operations of business as the partners can
amend any objectives or change any operations any time by mutual consent.
4. Better Management : Business of a partnership firm is very
well managed by all the partners as they take interest in the daily affairs of
business because of the ownership, profit and control.
5. Sharing of Risk : In partnership every partner bears the
risks individually as it is easier compared to sole proprietorship.
6. In a partnership firm interest of every partner is protected
against any fraud.
Disadvantages of partnership Firm:
1. Instability : A partnership firm does not exist for an
indefinite period of time. The death, insolvency or lunacy of a partner may
lead to dissolution of the partnership firm.
2. Unlimited Liability : Liability of every partner in a
partnership firm is unlimited as any of the partners may be called upon to pay
all the debts even from its personal properties. A single wrong decision by one
partner can lead other partners in heavy losses and liabilities.
3. Lack of Harmony : According partnership agreement every
partner has equal rights. Some situations might occur in which one or the other
partner will not agree on the same thing which will cause difference of opinion
resulting mistrust and disharmony among the partners.
4. Limited Capital : Due to the restriction on the maximum
number of members, a limited amount of capital can be raised.
5. No legal status : A partnership firm does not have a legal
status like a Joint Stock Company.
6. In a partnership firm it is not easy to transfer ownership.
Consent of every partner is required in order to transfer ownership.