1.What is adding value?
2. Explain Adventure
tourism, Attraction, Amenities, Back of the house.
3. What is continuously
4. Define the terms:
Excursionist, Front of the house, High-touch service
5. Explain hospitality in
terms of hotel industry
6. Explain the terms
Intangibility, Inseparability, Perishability, and Point of contact in hotel
7. What is Product
formation, Service brigade and The Moment of Truth?
What is adding value?
Adding value can be defined as adding extra item, image, product or service,
which adds value to the product. For example a good-looking receptionist adds
to the quality of hotel, a garnish on food adds to the value of the food. It
can be service tool, service staff, environment, image of the owner or chef,
etc. Travel agency adds value to the quality of hotel or vice versa.
Explain Adventure tourism, Attraction, Amenities, Back of the house.
• Adventure tourism - to convert the adventure into pleasure for the purpose of
• Attraction - Anything/object/activity, which attracts tourists and attach
• Amenities - Extra facilities, service added with attraction, accessibility
and accommodation to create tourism. It includes trust, friendship,
• Back of the house- Staffs who are not directly involved in providing service.
Guests rarely interact with them
What is continuously rendered service?
Continuously rendered services are those services, which are prepared and
provided only to the customers who are physically present. This kind of service
is not finished in instant time; it is a process, which is extended to a time
limit. It is a kind of face-to-face interaction. For example reservation
service, restaurant service, massage, etc
Define the terms: Excursionist, Front of the house, High-touch
• Excursionist – This term is used for the temporary visitors, who do not even
stay for twenty- four hours in a hotel.
• Front of the house – This term is used for the staffs who are directly
involved in providing services to the guests in the hotel. For example
receptionist, bellboys, gatekeeper, etc.
• High-touch service- These are those services which are already prepared but
the customer receive it only when he wants. For e.g. room reservation, fast
food, printed information, housekeeping service, etc
Explain hospitality in terms of hotel industry
Hospitality actually means, “taking care of guests in the best possible way".
• Organizing, providing services and looking care after guests is included in
• It means friendly and generous treatment of guests.
Hospitality industry includes all companies involved in providing services for
guests. They provide more mental satisfaction than tangible objects.
Explain the terms Intangibility, Inseparability, Perishability, and
Point of contact in hotel management.
• Intangibility- It can be explained as services, which cannot be seen, tested,
felt heard or smell or measured before they are delivered and received by
customer. For example, travel experience, trust, confidence, hospitality,
• Inseparability- To receive the service customer must be personally and
physically present at the point of delivery. Customer cannot be separated from
the point of delivery. Service is available at the Point of service Delivery
• Perishability- Perishable services are those services, which cannot be
stored. Unused service of a particular day cannot be sold next day or in
• Point of contact- Place, item, product, staff, service customer contact to
receive service. It can be building, service environment, delivery items,
staffs, follow travelers which they contact and receive positive or negative
What is Product formation, Service brigade and The Moment of Truth?
• Product formation – It can be defined as putting different products and
services together to form a product for the satisfaction of customer. For e.g.
Hospitality is a product formation which is not made from a single item.
• Service brigade- Team of staffs involved in providing service
• The Moment of Truth: It is the actual time when customer interacts with
service staff. It is the moment of contact when no management has control. It
is the motivation, skill, tools of the service and expectation, behavior,
expectation of the customer determines the quality of the service.