Agricultural scientist MS Swaminathan suggests Flood Code
Q. MS Swaminathan pitched for the preparation and operation of which code of action for flood hit regions?- Published on 27 Jul 16
a. Flood Code
b. Operation Flood
c. Flood Scheme
d. None of the above
ANSWER: Flood Code
Following reports of floods in the riverine portions of Bihar, Assam and WB, eminent agricultural scientist MS Swaminathan pitched for the preparation and operation of Flood Code.
- This is an anticipatory code of action for such regions.
- Under the Flood Code, alternative crops must be ready so that when the flood recedes, the plantation of the crops can take place in diara land which goes under water during the monsoon.
- Strategy should be planting saathi maize, sweet potato and rice varieties with genes for stem elongation.
- Farmers get at least one crop and some income for meeting their basic food and income needs.
- Swaminathan is known as the Father of the Green Revolution in India.
- Flood Code can save people in flood prone areas and enhance coping mechanism to handle extreme conditions.