Anupam Kher is FTII chairman
Q. Who is the chairman of FTII w.e.f 11th Oct 2017?- Published on 12 Oct 17
a. Gajendra Chauhan
b. Anupam Kher
c. Prakash Jha
d. Madhur Bhandarkar
ANSWER: Anupam Kher
Bringing to an end the controversial tenure of Gajendra Chauhan as the chief of India's premier film and television school, the ministry of information and broadcasting appointed acclaimed actor Anupam Kher chairman of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII).
Kher replaced Chauhan, whose selection in 2014 ran into rough weather almost immediately with students and illustrious alumni of the Pune-based institute attacking his poor track record in filmmaking and acting, besides his alleged inadequacy to handle the affairs of FTII.
Kher's appointment was widely welcomed by the film and theatre fraternity. Anupam Kher: Know More
- Born in 1955 in Shimla, and a graduate of Delhi's National School of Drama, Kher is considered one of the most prolific and versatile actors in the Hindi film industry.
- His acting career spans over 35 years, with critically acclaimed performances in Saaransh (1984), Daddy and Khosla Ka Ghosla! (2006), among others.
- He was also conferred the Padma Bhushan for his contribution to stage and cinema.
- It is not the first time that Kher has been chosen by the government to hold an administrative position.
- Kher led NSD and the Central Board of Film Certification in the past.
- While Chauhan's appointment was confirmed in June 2015, he could only assume office in January 2016 because of a 139-day strike by students opposing his appointment as a political move.