Games and Tournament - Logical Reasoning (MCQ) Questions for Q. 29819
Q. Read the following information to answer the given question
What is the total no. of matches played in the tournament?- Published on 08 May 17
- In a tournament, Pool A and Pool B have seven teams each.
- In each pool, every team plays one match with every other team.
- Two points are awarded for a win, one point for a tie and zero for a loss. At the end of the pool stage, the top three teams in terms of the points scored, advance to the next round called the super stage.
- In the super stage, all the teams start at zero points and the three teams that advance from Pool A play one match each against the three teams that advanced from Pool B.
- Points are awarded as in the pool stage.
- At the end of the matches, the top four teams in terms of the points scored advance to the semi-finals and the winners of the semi-finals play the finals.
- If two or more teams end up with the same number of points at the end of the pool stage or the super stage, the team with better net run rate is placed higher.
Step 1: Understand the story
Two pools A & B with 7 teams each
Pool Stage: Each play against other teams in the pool
Points - 2 for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss
3 teams each go to next stage
Super stage: Each team of Pool A teams plays against Pool B teams. (3 in each)
Top 4 teams go to next stage -
A semi-final (2 matches) + 1 final
Total matches = No. of Pool A matches + No. of Pool B matches + Super Stage + Semis + Final
= 7C2 + 7C2 + 3C1 x 3C1 + 2 + 1
= 21 + 21 + 9 + 2 + 1 = 54 matches