India and Russia to extend Brahmos supersonic cruise missile range
Q. India and Russia have agreed to extend the range of Brahmos supersonic cruise missiles beyond which limit?- Published on 19 Dec 16
a. 300 km
b. 400 km
c. 350 km
d. 450 km
ANSWER: 300 km
India and Russia have agreed to extend the range of Brahmos supersonic cruise missiles beyond the current 300 km, with the country joining the elite Missile Technology Control Regime.
Proposal for undertaking joint technical development work for extending range beyond 300 km has been executed between India and Russia.
In its first entry into any multilateral export control regime, India joined the MTCR in June 2016 as a full member.
Subsequent to India joining MTCR, Russia and India have extended the range.
Brahmos is short range, ramjet supersonic cruise missile travelling at the speed of Mach 3.0.
India and Russia are planning to develop a new generation of missiles that could have the ability to hit protected targets with pinpoint accuracy. BrahMos
- Supersonic cruise missile.
- Place of origin: India/Russia
- Used by: Indian armed forces (Army, Navy and Air Force)
- Manufacturer: BrahMos Aerospace Limited
- Variants: Surface launched, Submarine launched and Air launched
- Specifications: Weight around 3000kg (2500 for the air launched variant)
- Length: 8.4m
- Diameter: 0.6m