India, Bhutan, Bangladesh boycott Islamabad SAARC Summit
Q. Which countries have pulled out of the SAARC summit in Islamabad in Nov 2016?- Published on 28 Sep 16
d. All of the above
ANSWER: All of the above
Apart from India, Bangladesh and Bhutan have also pulled out of the SAARC Summit in Islamabad in November, saying the environment is not right for the successful holding of the meet.
- The decision was conveyed by Bangladesh and Bhutan on 27th Sept to the Saarc chair Nepal, sources said
- The decision by three countries of the eight-member grouping not to attend the summit would lead to its collapse.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the same day also decided not to attend the SAARC Summit in Islamabad in November.
- The announcement by India came on a day foreign secretary S Jaishankar issued a second demarche to Pakistan High Commissioner Abdul Basit over September 18 Uri attack and confronted him with proof of "cross-border origins" of the terror strike in which 18 jawans were killed.
- The attack has triggered a strong response from India which has reviewed the 56-year-old Indus Water Treaty (IWT), and decide to reconsider the MFN status granted by it, unilaterally, to Pakistan.