National Mathematics Day: 22nd Dec 2016
Q. National mathematics day is celebrated on the birth anniversary of which famous mathematician?- Published on 23 Dec 16
a. Srinivasa Ramanuja
b. John Nash
ANSWER: Srinivasa Ramanuja
National Mathematics Day was observed on 22 December 2016 across India.
The day marks the birth anniversary of Indian Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan. Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on 26 February 2012 declared this day.
The announcement was made at Madras University on the occasion of 125th birth anniversary of Ramanujan.
The year 2012 was also observed as the National Mathematical Year.Recognitions and honours conferred on Srinivasa Ramanujan include:
- His birthday is celebrated as 'State IT Day' in Tamil Nadu
- In 1962 ( which is his 75th birth anniversary), GoI released a stamp picturing the great Indian Mathematician Ramanujan.
- Later, a new design of the stamp was released on 26 December 2011 by the India post.
- Annual prize, named SASTRA Ramanujam Prize, is given by SASTRA University of Tamil Nadu.
- In 2016, the awards were conferred on Maksym Radziwill of McGill University, Canada and Kaisa Matomaki of University of Turku, Finland.
Know More About Srinivasa Ramanujan
- Born: 23 December 1887 in TN.
- He was an autodidact (self-taught person) who lived during the British Raj.
- He postulated number theory, mathematical analysis, infinite series, and making formulas and equations.
- Discoveries include Ramanujam Prime and Ramanujam theta.
- Compiled some 3900 mathematical results and equations.
- He along with Godfrey Harold Hardy, a British Mathematician, discovered the smallest number represented as sum of two cubes 1729. This number is known as Hardy–Ramanujan number 1729.