A permanent seat in the UN Security Council is neither necessary nor sufficient for India to become a world power - Group Discussion
The United Nations Security Council is an organization that has the primary responsibility of maintenance of international peace and security. The council is composed of 5 permanent members and ten non-permanent members including India(2012). Because of the nature of functioning of this body, a permanent seat for India could add an advantage.
- Few of the goals of the council are to eradicate poverty, reduce child mortality etc. India, as a country is anyway encountering these issues today.
- India needs to grow more from an economical and technological standpoint. Such a seat is not necessary for India to become a world power.
- The permanent members of the seat are extremely advanced countries.
- There could be many more ways for India to become a world power. For e.g. India can improve the literacy rate, try and eradicate crime and poverty. When such things are in control, a country inherently emerges as a world power.
- It will give India more recognition than today.
- With the kind of structure, recognition and powers this council holds, if India becomes a permanent member, it can gradually help India become a world power.
- The council resolved issues like Peace consolidation in West Africa, The situation in the Middle East etc. such Issues will make India an even more responsible country.
- Most foreign nationals perceive India to be a little less advanced country. Such a seat could help India get rid of such perceptions.
- Few of the functions and powers of such a council is to take military action against an aggressor and to formulate plans for the establishment of a system to regulate armaments. India, being strong from a military perspective could be considered as a world power.
They say that with great powers comes great responsibility. It is also true that we need to start from somewhere. Even though a permanent seat in the UN council may not be sufficient for India to become a world power, it can be a step ahead in becoming one. India has emerged as a developing nation and will continue to do so. Such a seat is necessary for India to gain world power.
More from CareerRide