Advantages and Disadvantages of being a veterinarian
What are some of the pros of becoming a Veterinarian?
If you are considering becoming a veterinarian, following are the pros:
- There are plenty of jobs available if you are a veterinarian. You will easily land up getting a job just after the completion of your studies, as long as you are not very particular about the location of the job. Most of the veterinarians get into independent practice.
- Gamut of job options is available to choose from, ranging from government hospitals to independent clinics, from poultry farms to NGOs and so on.
- As compared to medical doctors, chances to get sued are very rare and least likely.
- Being a veterinarian can pay you very well.
- There is immense satisfaction in serving the helpless and the needy.
What are the cons of a career in Veterinary Sciences?
- The course duration is too long. If you want to become a veterinary surgeon, then you need to go for a 4-5 years program in veterinary sciences and animal husbandry. And then in order to get good opportunities, you might also consider going for a Masters which again takes 2 years. In this way, it takes almost 7 years after your high school before your career actually starts paying you.
- Sometimes you might come across angry and agitated pets and animals. Every now and then you are on a risk of being bitten by one such animal.
- To become a veterinarian, the foremost attribute that you require is compassion. However it deeply pains giving euthanasia to an animal.
- You might sometimes as well come across upset pet owners.
- Doesn’t matter if you are practicing independently or with an organization, you need to be on call.
- The work of a veterinarian is both physically and mentally demanding. And sometimes emotionally too!
- RE: Advantages and Disadvantages of being a veterinarian -nooooo (10/25/17)
- this website really helped and i no longer have a research project to do
- RE: Advantages and Disadvantages of being a veterinarian -noooo (10/25/17)
- RE: Advantages and Disadvantages of being a veterinarian -Haley M. (03/28/17)
- I think this post helped me very much because I am doing a career research paper for wanting to be a Veterinarian. Thank you!
- RE: Advantages and Disadvantages of being a veterinarian -Savannah (03/11/17)
- Thanks so much. I am doing a school report on my future career and this helped so much!
- RE: Advantages and Disadvantages of being a veterinarian -Courtney (09/28/16)
- This actually help me. I want to become a vet, and right now I have to do a school report on what I want to be.