Art and Culture in India - Part I1. Who was the first Mauryan Emperor who began to "think in stone"?
d) DasarathaView Answer / Hide Answer
2. Which one of the following is the oldest stupa?
ANSWER: c) Ashoka
Mauryan art was a royal art patronized by Mauryan kings especially Ashoka. Pillars, Stupas, caves are the most prominent examples.
a) Amaravati Stupa
b) Gandhara Stupa
c) Sanchi Stupa
d) Swayambhunath StupaView Answer / Hide Answer
3. Who were the pioneers of the Gandhara School of Art?
ANSWER: c) Sanchi Stupa
The stupa illustrates the Lotus or Elephant, which represents the Buddha's birth, a tree, which indicates his enlightenment, and wheels, intending the wheel of dharma or the first teaching given by Buddha Shakyamuni.
d) ParthiansView Answer / Hide Answer
4. During whose reign can Buddha's first image be traced to?
ANSWER: a) Kushans
The root of Gandhara art can be traced to the Greek rulers of Bactria and Northwest India.
b) Chandragupta Maurya
d) KanishkaView Answer / Hide Answer
5. Who wrote Vikramorvasiyam?
ANSWER: d) Kanishka
A bronze coin from the Kushan era of Kanishka the Great, is the earliest datable image of the Buddha.
d) TulsidasView Answer / Hide Answer
6. Which one of the following does not belong to the musical compositions of Vikramorvasiyam?
ANSWER: a) Kalidasa
Vikramorvasiyam is a Sanskrit play on the Vedic love story of king Pururavas and a heavenly nymph named Urvashi.
d) JambhalikaView Answer / Hide Answer
7. What was a source of music meant to be sung?
ANSWER: b) Alamkar
The fourth act of Vikramorvasiyam used various musical compositions like aksiptika, dvipadika, jambhalika, khandadhara, carcarj, khandaka, etc.
a) Gandharva Veda
b) Rig Veda
c) Sam Veda
d) Atharva VedaView Answer / Hide Answer
8. Which musical instrument is Goddess Saraswathi associated with?
ANSWER: c) Sam Veda
Gandharva Veda dealt with science of music.
d) VeenaView Answer / Hide Answer
9. Which musical instrument is Lord Shiva associated with?
ANSWER: d) Veena
Goddess Saraswathi holding Veena symbolizes expressing knowledge that creates harmony.
d) FluteView Answer / Hide Answer
10. Which musical instrument is Lord Vishnu associated with?
ANSWER: b) Damru
Damaru is one of the attributes of Shiva in his famous dancing representation known as Nataraja.
d) GarmonView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: a) Conch
Vishnu is the god of preservation. He hold a special conch, Panchajanya, that represents life.