Ban co-education - why and why not?
Ban co-education – why and why not?
Co-education means providing education to both the male and female students in the same institute. In spite of the establishment of co-educational schools and colleges there are parents who send their sons and daughters only to boys' and girls' institutes respectively. Establishing a system of co-education is a sign of a country's development too. During the time of the admissions there is huge rush in convent the schools than the co-educational schools.
Today, whether their kids should be sent to co-educational institutes is a common debate among the parents. Some parents are even of the opinion that co-educational system should be banned.
Now, let us discuss whether the co-educational schools should be banned or not?
Co-education makes the children sexually attracted
1. Not easily adopted – In India, there has always been gender segregation. For a long time women were not allowed to work or study with men. It is still prevalent in many parts of the country. Hence, the system of co-education cannot be easily adopted by the people.
2. Sexually attracted – Parents feel that there will be attraction between the opposite sexes in co-educational institutes which will affect their children's studies.
3. Eve teasing – This is one of the major factors leading to a ban on co-education. There are boys who make it their hobby to tease girls.
4. Weaker Sex – In some co-educational schools or colleges women are still considered as the weaker sex. This gives more opportunity to the boys in all the fields like sports, class monitoring, etc.
5. Education barrier – There are certain things which are taught exclusively girls to educate them about health and hygiene. Such things cannot be taught in the presence of boys. Hence, co-education should be banned.
Co-education makes the children more sensitive to opposite gender.
1. Cordial relation – Co-educational schools and colleges help in creating a friendly relation between the students and, thus, encourage harmony and tolerance.
2. Good exposure – Co-education gives very good exposure to the students like sending students abroad. Most of the single-sex schools give more focus to tradition than academics.
3. Increases confidence – Students gain a lot of confidence in a co-educational institutes as they also interact with the opposite sex. It also improves their communication skills.
4. Symbol of equality – A co-educational school or college is a symbol of equality. Both boys and girls are given the equal rights and opportunities in the field of academic, sports or cultural programmes.
5. Competition – Studying in a co-educational school or college increases competition among the students and, thus, increases their dedication towards academics.
The system of co-education contributes to the growth of the education system of a country. Since the last few years, India has shown good improvement in the field of education. But foreign countries like America are much more developed as they embraced the system of co-education much before us. Now, the future of a child depends on his/her parents. Its high time that parents start giving importance to the academics and growth of their child's career rather than following the tradition of segregation of sexes.
You may like