English Grammar and correct usage test – Oct 05, 20141. In the below given passage, there are blanks which are numbered. Fill in the blanks choosing the correct alternative mentioned against each number.
He is full of 1
and penetration, piercing easily below the 2
platitudes of Thrasymachus to the real difficulty; he turns out to the 3
the seamy side of human life, and yet does not 4
faith in the just and 5.
1. a. Quick’s b. Quickness c. Quick d. Quicken
2. a. Clumsiness b. Climes c. Clumsy d. Clumsier
3. a. Light b. Lights c. Lighted d. Lighten
4. a. Loosen b. Loser c. Losing d. Lose
5. a. truth b. True c. Trues d. Trued
1. - b, 2. - c, 3. - a, 4. - d, 5. - b
1. - a, 2. - d, 3. - c, 4. - d, 5. - a
1. - c, 2. - c, 3. - b, 4. - b, 5. - c
1. - d, 2. - d, 3. - c, 4. - a, 5. - d
1. - c, 2. - a, 3. - d, 4. - c, 5. - aView Answer / Hide Answer
2. The below given sentences have two words marked in bold. The meaning of both the words remains the same in context to the sentence, find the meaning for the words.
ANSWER: 1. - b, 2. - c, 3. - a, 4. - d, 5. - b
i. She said if you are going to be frank
you will be able to crack the deal.
ii. The number of job options available
added to Mark’s confusion.
e. OperatingView Answer / Hide Answer3. Two sentences are given below. Combine both the sentences in a way so that the meaning of both the sentence should remain the same. Choose the correct option.
i. The explorers approached the headwaters of the Missouri. They discovered, to their horror that the rocky mountain range stood between them and their goal.
a. Then… They
b. As… They
d. On… TheyView Answer / Hide Answer4. The sentence given below is mentioned in Direct/ Indirect Speech. Choose the correct alternative that best expresses the sentence in Indirect/ Direct speech.
i. The principal said to me, “You may see me tomorrow.”
a. The principal asked me to see him tomorrow
b. The principal wanted me to see him tomorrow
c. The principal told me that I might see him the next day
d. The principal tells me to see him tomorrow.View Answer / Hide Answer
5. Choose the best alternative that can replace the underlined portion in the below given sentence.
ANSWER: c. The principal told me that I might see him the next day
i. Since the past three issues, we had been talking about what really makes an impact in your communication.
a. We have talked about what really will make an impact in your communication
b. We have been talking about what really made an impact in your communication
c. We have been talking about what really makes an impact in your communication
d. We had talked about what really made an impact in your communicationView Answer / Hide Answer
6. Four sentences on the same theme are given. Choose the best alternative that represents the sentence grammatically and logically correct.
ANSWER: c. We have been talking about what really makes an impact in your communication
a. The state of his affairs were such as to cause anxiety to his creditors
b. The state of his affairs was such as to cause anxiety to his creditors
c. The state of his affairs are such as to cause anxiety to his creditors
d. The state of his affairs is such as to cause anxiety to his creditorsView Answer / Hide Answer
7. The sentence given below is mentioned in Active/ Passive Voice. Choose the correct alternative that best expresses the sentence in Passive/ Active Voice.
ANSWER: b. The state of his affairs was such as to cause anxiety to his creditors
i. The treaty is being signed by the two kings.
a. The two kings will sign the treaty
b. The two kings had signed the treaty
c. The two kings shall sign the treaty
d. The two kings are signing the treatyView Answer / Hide Answer
8. There are 2 sentences given below with two homonyms typed in bold which may be either mis – spelt or inappropriate in the context of the sentences. Read both the sentences carefully and decide on their correctness on the basis of the bold words.
ANSWER: d. The two kings are signing the treaty
, the male cell may be motile or non – motile
ii. The scent
was close and pulling her
a. If only sentence i is correct
b. If only sentence ii is correct
c. If both the sentences are correct
d. If both the sentences are incorrect but can be corrected by interchanging the words marked in bold.
e. If both the sentences are incorrect and cannot be interchanged as well.View Answer / Hide Answer
9. Rearrange the alternatives between 1 and 6 to form a coherent paragraph.
ANSWER: e. If both the sentences are incorrect and cannot be interchanged as well.
i. Indigenisation activities have become part and parcel of the manufacturing activities in the company.
A. In addition to overcoming the dependence on foreign sources for supply, indigenisation provides adequate value addition for the products and a steady source of local supply, which helps the company to provide long – term and sustained product support to the customers.
B. This has gained more significance during the past two to three years when the company had to face restriction on import from US and European countries.
C. Indigenisation activities have been given a very clear focus under the overall efforts taken by the company in the area of cost reduction.
D. The task forces set up in the company to address cost reduction in various areas have looked into possibilities of indigenisation in a great number of the products and succeeded to a large extent.
vi. These efforts will be intensified in the coming years.
d. CABDView Answer / Hide Answer10. Fill in the blanks by choosing the best alternative that suits the sentence.
i. We impressed upon the Muslims the necessity of regarding India as ____________
b. The Motherland
c. Their Motherland
d. A MotherlandView Answer / Hide Answer
ANSWER: c. Their Motherland