Sentence completion test - English grammar test
Sentence completion test: In the questions below, some part of the sentence has been left blank. Select the best option which completes the sentence properly.
1. He thought his ___________ were amusing, but actually it was irritating and such unwarranted talk shouldn't happen.
2. Butterfly is _________ enough to fly as high as 7,000 feet, although its wings look extremely __________
a. sturdy, fragile
b. skillful, iridescent.
c. thick, slender
d. powerful, vivid
e. heavy , beautiful
3. Several coalgate files were improperly ___________ and thus lost within the file room itself, have been located and are finally _________ CBI.
a. administered, .overlooked by
b. labeled, accessible to
c. displayed.. comprehensible to
d. praised .. scrutinized by
e. cataloged, .unobtainable by
4. The performers eloquently communicated using gestures and facial expressions rather than words through the art of the ______________
5. The geometry course ____________ the principles governing solid structures and that's the reason it was especially popular with students specializing in ___________
a. reversed, .literature
b. deleted, .geology
c. revealed, .history
d. attacked, .economics
e. emphasized, .architecture
6. As the wicket fell, the confidence of the captain increased and the _________ predictions he had made at the beginning of the match began to seem justified.
7. The ____________ act was _____________ even to the rapist's parents, who too asked for death sentence for his son.
b. heinous . . appalling
c. vulgar . . unaffected
d. timorous . . intrepid
e. vengeful . . acceptable
8. Trinkets intended to have only __________ appeal can exist virtually forever in landfills because of the ______________ of some plastics.
a. theoretical, .resilience
b. arbitrary .. scarcity
c. obsessive. .fragility
e. ephemeral.. durability
9. Despite all odds and _____________ the he produced work that is now _______________ by a range of his critics.
a. adversity, .acclaimed
b. depression, .criticized
c. security, -hailed
d. celebrity.. publicized
e. inactivity, .undermined
10. ____________________ is the practice of carrying out less urgent tasks in preference to more urgent ones, or doing more pleasurable things in place of less pleasurable ones, and thus
putting off impending tasks to a later time.
11. Sachin Tendulkar skills as a batsman ___________ his ______________ stature, enabling him to compete successfully against much taller opponents.
a. detract from. .lofty
b. contrast with. .towering
c. reveal, .gargantuan
d. emphasize, .modest
e. compensate for. .diminutive
12. The book was about deadly accumulation of hazardous pesticides, ____________ a grass-roots campaign to _______ the indiscriminate use of such poisonous substances.
a. conceived. , encourage
b. catalyzed. .propagate
c. allowed, .recommend
d. protested ..limit
13. There are lizards that have the characteristic of ____________ if their tails are broken during predatory encounters, the tails will eventually grow back.
14. Although the starting point was the same for all, they might have chosen ____________ routes across the country.
15. The troops _________________ themselves before they went into enemy territory
16. It makes me very nervous and poorly, to be ______________ in my own family, and to have neighbours who think of themselves before anybody else.
You may like