Agriculture - Current Affairs for March, 2017
Agriculture Current Affairs for March, 2017Month wise coverage of Agriculture Current Affairs helps you improve your general knowledge and prepare for all competitive exams like IBPS, Bank PO, SBI PO, RRB, RBI, LIC, Specialist Officer, Clerk, SSC, UPSC, Railway etc. This section is updated daily with the most important events.
Preparing Agriculture Current Affairs March, 20171. Read the most important Agriculture Current affairs and facts here. 2. Take practice test of our Agriculture MCQ and Objective type questions. 3. Clear any quiz, GK, job interview or competitive exam on current affairs.
- Month & Year
▼ ICAR, ICRISAT to sign agreement [03-20-17]
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research/ICAR and the International Crop Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) on March 15, 2017 signed an agreement for crop improvement.
Agreement was signed between the Director ICAR and DG ICRISAT.
The agreement is called the ICAR-ICRISAT collaborative work plan for 2016-2018 facilitates the transfer of agricultural technologies between the 2 institutes.
Climate smart crops, smart food and digitalization of breeding database are core research areas covered under the agreement.
Partnership includes funding to research grain legumes and dry land cereals and support for smart food initiative to deliver nutritionally rich, sustainable products to consumers.
On the point of crop improvement front, the agreement will facilitate research activities on transgenic pigeon pea and chickpea for insect resistance.
Other focus areas over the next three years include the integration of systems modelling tools to upscale climate resilient agriculture, development of genetic and genomic resources of finger millet and enhancing genetic gains for priority traits.
ICAR: Know More
- ICAR is an autonomous organization under the Department of Agricultural Research and Education.
- It was set up as the Imperial Council of Agricultural Research on 16th July 1929 as a registered society under the Societies Registration Act 1860 by the UK government.
- The Council is an apex body for coordination, guidance and management of research and education in agriculture, including fisheries, animal sciences and horticulture across the nation.
- ICAR is one of the largest national agricultural systems in the world.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.
- International organisation conducting agricultural research for rural development.
- It is headquartered in Patancheru in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- It was established in 1972 by a consortium of organisations convened by the Ford, Rockfeller foundations.
- Its charter was signed by FAO and UNDP.
- Headquarters: Patancheru
- Founded: 1972
- Motto: Science with a Human Face
▼ Blue Revolution: Mission Fingerling to revive fisheries [03-15-17]
The Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare on 11 March 2017 launched Mission Fingerling.
This is a programme aimed at achieving the Blue Revolution by enabling holistic development and management of fisheries.
The main motive behind this programme is to enhance the fisheries production from 10.79 mmt (2014-15) to 15 mmt by 2020-21.
To spur development in the fisheries sector, the Union Government envisaged a program named Blue Revolution.
The Blue Revolution focuses on an enabling environment for an integrated and holistic development and management of fisheries for the socio economic development of fish farmers.
This program with a total expenditure of around INR 52000 lakh will facilitate the establishment of hatcheries and Fingerling rearing pond to ensure the fish production of 426 crores Mission Fingerling.
Around 25.50 crores Post Larvae of shrimp and crab in the country will also be covered. This will converge in the production of 20 lakh tonnes of fish annually and will benefit about 4 million families.
Mission Fingerling: Know More
- It lays greater emphasis on infrastructure with an equally strong focus on management and conservation of the resources through technology transfer.
- Productivity enhancement will also be targeted through integration of various production oriented activities.
- This includes production of quality fish seeds, cost effective feed and adoption of technology etc.
- Fish Fingerling production is the single most important critical mission visualised to achieve fish production targets under the Blue Revolution.
- Use of high yielding verities of brooders is another significant aspect to be addressed on priority.
- The Union Agricultural Ministry identified 20 States based on their potential and other relevant factors to strengthen the Fish Seed infrastructure in the country.