BPO/Call center skills
The main purpose of this question is to see if you have some of those qualities
which employers look for in their employees like – dedicated, performance
oriented, hard working, creative etc................
A center equipped to handle a large volume of telephone calls. These calls could
be the calls coming in from customers for service or support or these could be
The purpose of this question to see if you are aware about the type of job you
have applied to and if you are aware of what call centers do................
Call center is a subset of BPO.................
Relate the qualities you have to the requirements of a call center job like,
good command over the language(English), team working capabilities, patience,
good listening skills etc...................
Again, before you apply for a job to a call center you should be aware that most
of the call centers cater to English speaking customers and this needs you to
speak clear English without any grammatical mistakes. ....................
Getting along well with co-workers boils down to being a good team
If you are currently working or worked in the past, it is one of the most
obvious questions you would face. So, you must go prepared with a good answer
This question might be thrown at you unexpectedly to see your
Work and pressure are always going to co-exist. It might be the pressure at work
or on personal front but you should be able to deal with it................
By asking this question the interviewer tries to analyze if the candidate will
leave the job for a couple of thousands. Recruiting a candidate costs money to
Are you patient, give an example to show this
Patience is considered as a strength, by showing you are patient you are letting
the interviewer know that you know what to expect and that you are prepared for
Show that you are able to maintain a positive attitude and a high performance
standard under pressure and can face of challenges head on. Describe a
situation when you used appropriate methods to overcome provocation and stress
and exhibit that you are able to keep patience when faced with a difficult
Can you work in shifts/rotational shifts?
Call Centers provide 24*7 support to customers, so if you want to make a career
in this industry, make sure you are ready to work in shifts. You will not only
work at odd times, but your shifts will rotate on weekly, fortnightly, or daily
basis. So be prepared to say yes to this question and be open to working in
Can you work under pressure?
Here again they are checking your patience level, so you need to provide some
examples to answer this question, some sample answers:
• In any job one has to face with stressful situations that require them to
work under pressure on a daily basis and with time one learns to manage stress.
For most of us it is just part of the job
• I like the challenge of working under pressure, but proper planning and time
management skills can take the pressure of.
• I work well under pressure. But I do not panic when faced with stressful
situations. Instead of reacting to a situation, I analyze the situation and try
to come up with an optimal solution.
What motivates you to work in a call centre?
You need to again show them that you know what does a call center do and you
would enjoy working at one. Some of the following would be good reasons:
• I like to deal with customers over the phone and develop my customer service
• The call center industry is booming
• I like the type of work done in call centers and the salary provided by call
centers is decent and I look forward to a long term career in this industry, as
it is bound to grow and will provide long term career stability.
What do you know about BPO?
BPO is an abbreviation of Business Process Outsourcing. It could be outsourcing
of various processes, such as, manufacturing, call centers, IT, and others.
There are 2 types of Call Centers:
• Inbound– Here agents receive calls from customers
• Outbound – Here agents are supposed to call random people, to sell a service
What is the difference between inbound process and outbound process?
Inbound customer service agents handle incoming calls from customers for:
• Requests for help
• Inquiries or requests for information
• Placing orders, in product purchases
• Applications for services
• Filing complaints
Outbound customer service agents make calls to random potential customers to
sell a service or product. These agents can also be called as telemarketing
What will you do when a customer is abusive/irritated?
When you work at a call center you will come across irritated, angry, and
abusive customers, you can say you will do that following to handle them:
• Listen to them and empathize with their situation
• Apologize and take ownership of the problem and give a solution
• Approach them and ask for a reason for their displeasure
• If they insist on talking to your manager, get him on line ASAP
• Follow up after giving the solution and ask for feedback
Rate yourself on communication skills
Communications skills are one of the key skills an interviewer looks for in an
• Be confident and say "I would give myself an 8+ for communication skills, and
I am improving on it."
• You could tell them to get in touch with references who think you are good
and say: "My previous Manager who rated my communication skills gave me a 9."
• Give a range to be on a safe side: "Anywhere between 8-10"
Sell a product
Pen/Watch are common products as they come handy. Sales is one of the most
difficult jobs and you need o prove that you can sell the product to someone
who does not actually need it, you need to:
• Focus on how the product’s features and how it addresses your potential
• Be persuasive, confident, and lively
• Do not list down the features of the pen, be creative and think about the
situation when you will need a pen desperately
• One such example would be, signing a check; you could give a blank check to
the interviewer with your sign and ask him how it would be like to have a pen
in this situation.
• You will need to consider your customer’s concerns and how to handle them.
Your interviewer might counter your points, but keep your cool and focus on
addressing those concern. Show your willingness to take up the challenge.
What is your current CTC and what are your expectations?
Be honest about your CTC, as you will have to produce you salary slip as a proof
Be realistic when you state your expected CTC, you can ask for a 20-30% hike
If you are underpaid at your current company you can look for the standard
salary paid for the
experience you have and ask for that amount.
For freshers, call centers usually pay a decent amount and there are lot of
other benefits so make sure you ask for the industry’s standard salary.
Are you planning to go for further studies?
Be transparent in your answer.
If you are pursuing further studies, say so. Tell them why you want to go for
If you are taking up a distance education course or a part time course, they
should know. They might not even hire you if you say you are going for higher
If well qualified, why do you want to work in a call centre
This is a very important answer, as you will need to convince them with your
tone, answer, and expressions. Some of the answers could be:
• I want to work in a call center because it is a fast growing industry. Call
centers provide a good working environment, and a good salary to maintain a
good lifestyle, and offer great opportunities to develop my skills.
• Call centers provide a work hard, play hard environment, with rewards, and
What is the difference between BPO and call centre?
A BPO is responsible for executing a process of another business
organization/unit. That means a business process is outsourced to save on costs
or increase productivity.
A call centre handles telephone calls; it could be handling customer complaints
coming over a telephone.
What is back office?
Back office manages a company’s technology, services, or human resources. Back
office is involved administration/services that are not seen by customers.
How to impress your customer?
When selling a product remember that you are the one (your company) who created
the solution, so you know your customer’s problem better than anyone else.
When you have no answer, or don’t know an answer, make something up. A customer
will always be impressed by someone who knows everything.
Do not make them wait or leave them to assume what you’ll do.
Create a niche around your product/service that you offer, you need to know why
your customers come to you.
What does customer service mean to you?
How long will you stay in our company?
You should ensure that you give an impression that you will pay back more than
what you take from the
• You can say I will stay here as far as I see an opportunity for growth, as I
am looking for a stability in work place
• If they stress on number of years say 3-4 years, and more if I can explore
new challenges/growth opportunities
• Show them that you want to grow vertically and that is possible when you stay
in a company for long and not when you switch jobs frequently.
What do you expect from us, as an employer?
The employer is interviewing you to see what you can do for the company, but now
wants to know what you want from them, be reasonable and not very demanding, if
you want to be hired:
• Say whether you want to work alone or in a team?
• You can express how would you want to be motivated?
You can also say the following:
• A company that encourages learning
• A company that encourages open culture
Tell us about your qualities that affect this job
You need to exhibit qualities that will affect the job you will be hired for,
following points will help:
• I believe in hard work and honesty, and these two are very important
characteristics that a call center executive must possess.
• I am confident and patient, so I can handle difficult customers
• I like talking to different type of people and possess strong communication
skills, and I can understand human nature quickly, this is again a very crucial
skill for customer service professionals
What do you know about our company?
• Do some research about the company, make sure you know about their processes
• When you have done your homework, they will be convinced that you are
interested, as you have taken out time to learn about the company and its work.
Center HR interview questions!