Home > Verbal
Ability > Idioms and phrases
Direction – Some situations are provided below, followed by a idiom or proverb.
Choose the one which fits the situation best.
1. There are so many skills and so much knowledge to acquire that a lifetime is
a.) Art is long, and Time is fleeting.
b.) Art is long, life is short.
c.) The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne
d.) So vast is art, so narrow human life.
ANSWER : Art is long, life is short.
2. Don’t judge by appearances.
a.) Beauty is only skin deep
b.) Handsome is as handsome does.
c.) Never judge by appearances
d.) All the above
ANSWER : All the above
3. It is pointless reasoning with a person who does not want to listen to
a.) There are none so blind as those who will not see.
b.) There are none so deaf as those who will not hear.
c.) Both the above.
d.) None of the above.
ANSWER : Both the above.
4. She has been ill through out her life but has managed to see 87 years of
a. A cat has nine lives
b. Every bullet has its billet
c. Both the above
d. None of the above
ANSWER : A cat has nine lives
Direction - What does the following proverb mean?
5. Every Jack has a Jill.
a.) There is a partner in life for everybody.
b.) People are born in pairs.
c.) You need a partner to accomplish every task.
d.) All the above.
ANSWER : There is a partner in life for everybody.
6. The thief disappeared ______________________________.
a.) in a minute
c.) in the blink of an eye
d.) in front of me
ANSWER : in the blink of an eye
7. He knows the inside out of this business. He has been doing it for
b.) a long time
c.) donkey’s years
d.) years and generations
ANSWER : donkey’s years
8. The journey was tiring. He had a _____________________________.
a.) tough time
b.) five o’clock shadow
c.) twelve o’clock look
d.) fatigued look.
ANSWER : five o’clock shadow
9. He has almost lost touch with his brother. They see each other
a.) in a billion years
b.) once in a blue moon
c.) in a month of Sundays
ANSWER : once in a blue moon
10. He sold all his stocks when the _________________.
a.) time was ripe
b.) time was on his side
c.) moment was right
d.) time honoured practice
ANSWER : time was ripe