What is GAC?- GAC stands for Global Assembly Cache.
- It is an area of memory reserved to store the assemblies of all .NET applications that are running on a certain machine.
- It shares assemblies among multiple .NET applications.
- The assemblies must have a strong name and must be publicly shared to be installed in the GAC.
Following are the reasons why it is important to install an assembly into the global assembly cache:
1. Shared location.
2. File security.
3. Side-by-side versioning.
4. Additional search location.
- It stores assemblies specifically designated to be shared by several applications on the computer.
- An assembly must have a strong name to be installed in the GAC.