Describe the .Net base class library.
- It is a library of classes, interfaces, and value types.
- This library system functionality and is the foundation of .NET Framework applications, components, and controls are built.
- The .NET base class library exists in order to encapsulate a huge number of common functions and makes them easily accessible to the developer.
- It provides the functionality like ADO.NET, XML, Threading, IO, Security, Diagnostics, Resources, Globalization, collections etc.
- It serves as the main point of interaction between developer and runtime.
- The .Net base class library provides namespaces which are frequently used, some of them are as follows:
|System||It contains fundamental classes and base classes that define commonly-used value and reference data types, events and event handlers, interfaces, attributes and processing exceptions.|
|System.Activities||It contains all the classes necessary to create and work with activities in Windows Workflow Foundation.|
|System.Collections||It contains types that define various standard, specialized and generic collection objects.|
|System.Configuration||It contains types that define various standard, specialized and generic collection objects.|
|System.Data||It contains classes for accessing and managing data from diverse sources.|
|System.Deployment||It contains types that define support deployment of ClickOnce application.|
|System.EnterpriseServices||It contains types that define the com+services architechture, which provides an infrastructure for enterprise application.|
|System.Globalization||It contains classes that define culture-related information, including language, country/region, calenders in use, currency.|
|System.IO||It contains types that support input and output, including the ability to read and write data to streams either synchronously or asynchronously.|
|System.Linq||It contains types that support queries which is used Language-Integrated Query (LINQ). It includes types that represent queries as objects in expression trees.|
|System.Management||It contains a type that provides access to management information and management events about the system, devices and applications instrumented to the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) infrastructure.|
|System.Net||It contains classes that provide a simple programming interface for a number of network protocols.|
|System.Printing||It contains types that support printing. It provides access to the properties of print system objects.|
|System.Runtime||It contains types that support an application's interaction with the common language runtime.|
|System.Security||It contains classes that represent the .Net framework security system and permissions.|
|System.Windows||It contains types used in Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) application, including animation clients, user interface controls, data binding.|